• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac sales at Best Buy are...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
...a Joke. I was in there last night trying to snag a Wii for my Girlfriend and while I was in there I swung by the Mac display to see the new Macbook and MB Pro. This guy was trying to sell a guy who needed Windows as well, and he told him the "only" way it can be done is by using Parallels or VMWare, and he would need to buy one of theses, and a copy of Windows. I looked up from the Macbook and said, "No you can run it in Bootcamp without a Virtual Machine Appliance program." The guy actually had NO idea what I was talking about. Then the guy told him he needed to buy Office For Mac instead of using a copy that he already had for Windows. Sigh, bad idea having these yahoos at Best Buy sell Macs.

On a side note, the new Macbooks and Macbook Pros are very nice. The trackpad takes a second to get used to but once you do it's amazing. They seemed to move pretty quickly too! I had two older Macbooks to compare them with and other than the lack of FW they destroy the older MB by comparison. FW missing would keep me from buying it for myself, but wouldn't stop me from getting it for my girlfriend.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well, honestly - it's Best Buy, not an Apple Store. It's hard to find savvy, well-trained and knowledgeable clerks to work for just a few bucks over minimum wage. The quality of your people is usually commensurate with your investment in them. Still, pretty interesting. It's hard to keep my mouth shut when I walk through these kinds of stores and overhear conversations like this. I've been asked to leave a number of stores because of my butting in ;)

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
Well, honestly - it's Best Buy, not an Apple Store. It's hard to find savvy, well-trained and knowledgeable clerks to work for just a few bucks over minimum wage. The quality of your people is usually commensurate with your investment in them. Still, pretty interesting. It's hard to keep my mouth shut when I walk through these kinds of stores and overhear conversations like this. I've been asked to leave a number of stores because of my butting in ;)

Lol, you and I are very much the same then ;) These guys guys are supposedly Apple "reps" that go from Best Buy to Best Buy. This guy knew NOTHING. Oh yeah I got a ROFLMAYO out the price of a 4 GB memory upgrade there too, $199.99, hahaha, it's 44 dollars for CRUCIAL or OCZ at newegg right now! DDR2 prices have TANKED since DDR3 equipped machines and the new Core i7 hit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
It's sad isn't it Erik?
I remember going to a Best Buy here in Florida and I don't know how your Best Buy is set up, but the one down here has 3 rows of Doz laptops and in the back left hand corner is their "Apple Products". There was only a BlackBook and MacBook Air and a few iPod accessories and that was IT for Apple products. However there were a couple of people actually looking at the Black Macbook and I told them how great the MacBook is....How it has a dual core processor, is lightweight and durable, and will remain the same speed for years to come. Of course the Best Buy sales associate didn't like that too much as he approached me and said it was his job to assist customers. I asked him why he was letting 5 people just stand there and look at the laptop then. He shrugged and said that "They didn't have any questions." I told him where to go. ;D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I once got kicked out of a Radio Shack for telling an elderly couple who were buying a computer for their grandchild that the Compaq they were looking at was way overpriced and was absolute garbage, while the sales person was doing his pitch.

Reaction score
Our Best Buy seems to be the exception. A few of the salesmen have switched over to Mac just from playing with it. Mac has a separate section all by itself, well lit and a fairly informed crew. They do not have as much knowledge as an Apple would have but they seem to be doing a good Mac business.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I once got kicked out of a Radio Shack for telling an elderly couple who were buying a computer for their grandchild that the Compaq they were looking at was way overpriced and was absolute garbage, while the sales person was doing his pitch.

Thought I was the only one that did that. ;D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

I have done that many times at Frys. Amazing how some so called Salespeople will lie or just do not know what they are talking about. The typical customer does not know better. I have many times butted in and told the customer the truth. Got some dirty looks but so far never told to leave! :D

The Best Buy here has a Mac section. The dood is supposed to be hired by Apple but he seemed sort of cocky to me. I guess he was not happy I already have the Macs I need and was not going to purchase one from him!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod touch 32gb first gen. MacBook, iBook G4 and a broken PowerBook G4 15"
The Best Buy here is very nice! The guy there actually had a bit of apple knowledge stretching as far back as my iBook! Lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod touch 32gb first gen. MacBook, iBook G4 and a broken PowerBook G4 15"
Have you guys ever had it when you ask if they have something specific (something they obviously don't know about) and they say YOU are mistaken and that there is no such thing? You then find it for yourself and show them.......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Got some dirty looks but so far never told to leave! :D
Me either, but I typically wait until the salesperson is away or am a bit more conscientious about being insulting.

The dood is supposed to be hired by Apple but he seemed sort of cocky to me.
Funny, because to me the cockiness would've help confirm it, not deny it. ;D

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
I guess I can't fault the guy too much, I could run circles around any of they're Windows PC sales guy's too. :D When your dad was a top notch Honeywell Mainframe programmer for GEisco, you kinda have computers around you from birth, lol. Trying to pry my dad away from Windows is like trying to take a three-year-old's security blanket away. He knows Unix, insanely well, writes all his own programs in Perl, and writes C++ in his sleep, but he is scared of a Mac, go figure.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess I can't fault the guy too much, I could run circles around any of they're Windows PC sales guy's too. :D When your dad was a top notch Honeywell Mainframe programmer for GEisco, you kinda have computers around you from birth, lol. Trying to pry my dad away from Windows is like trying to take a three-year-old's security blanket away. He knows Unix, insanely well, writes all his own programs in Perl, and writes C++ in his sleep, but he is scared of a Mac, go figure.

Tell him it runs BSD and I'll bet he changes his mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
He knows Unix, insanely well, writes all his own programs in Perl, and writes C++ in his sleep, but he is scared of a Mac, go figure.
Doesn't he know OSX is just a pretty UI slapped over a Unix-like OS?

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
Yeah he does, he doesn't want to let his Flight Simulator go hahahaha! Or any of his other games for that matter, my dad is more hardcore gamer than some of my 20-30YO friends are. All he does is ***** about virus protection hogging up all the system resources, etc etc. Some of the stuff he can do in terminal on my Mac blows me away, he likes the fact that OS X uses real Unix commands and not different versions that Linux use.

Back when the nasty Windows ME viruses were going around, I had one that I couldn't get off the machine. He walked me through rebuilding registry keys it had infected to get rid of it and it worked, good guy to know in that situation. It happened AGAIN and he said "Dump it and get XP, M$ is gonna abandon it soon", sure enough, they did.

Reaction score
I was under the impression the guys selling macs a BB were mac employees? or at least trained by them? isnt that why they wear the same "uniform" as at the apple store?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was under the impression the guys selling macs a BB were mac employees? or at least trained by them? isnt that why they wear the same "uniform" as at the apple store?

If I'm not mistaken, they are Apple-trained and certified, but are actually on the payroll at BB.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am not sure about now but back in the CompUSA days, the Apple person was employed by Apple. Both of them that worked there over the years told me. Not sure about BB. I was really good friends with the one at CompUSA. Really cool person.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Ah, I kinda miss the CompUSA I used to have nearby. It was a decent spot for checking out Apple gear.

Reaction score
my complaint is people with iphone problems being told by at&t to stop into an apple store to get it fixed and the customer getting ****** off that he drove 45 mins to find out he needs a genious bar appointment and we are booked for the day...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.