NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS on IMac

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am purchasing my 24" IMac in the next few weeks and was wondering on the performance of the graphics card with games such as World of Warcraft?

I would like to run some Windows Games on there such as WOW and Football Manager and want to make sure I won't see any performance issues?

Also, how likely is it that a further upgrade to the IMac may happen in the near future? Such as the graphics card being updated?

If there is an update soon then I may well hold off to get the most up to date version.

Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
Other than upgrading the memory and hard drive, the iMac is a pretty fixed deal. If you want something a little more open to upgrade, get a Mac Pro

OP
M
Reaction score
Other than upgrading the memory and hard drive, the iMac is a pretty fixed deal. If you want something a little more open to upgrade, get a Mac Pro

Ok thanks I understand that.

But is the 24" as it stands more than enough to cope with running games like World of Warcraft?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
The Radeon 2600 is fine for the current crop of games, although it won't be taxed much by older titles like WoW and Football Manager.

If you're going to be getting into newer games like Far Cry 2, the GeForce will serve you much better though.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Ok thanks I understand that.

But is the 24" as it stands more than enough to cope with running games like World of Warcraft?

Go with the best nVidia you can afford. In my experience using both ATI and nVidia cards, the nVidia has always outperformed ATI. And yes, purchasing an iMac 24" with the 8800 GS should suffice for most graphic intensive games, even the latest MS Flight Simulator.

Regards.

Reaction score
I have a 24" iMac with 2.8Ghz, 2Gb ram and 8800GS. My expirience in games: WoW running at framerates around 60 with vSync on and around 100 when its off (and it does so even when im doing some heavy video encoding on the background even 1080 movies). Playing Grid on bootcamp with VISTA (hate them but i didnt have anything else when i did the boot camp XD) i had 30-40 frames at 1920*1200 and everything on full settings, and crysis 25-30 on full settings again.

Reaction score
Hi there,...I just gotmy iMac 24" with the 8800 GS and its seems is not working as everyone says... I tried it with Halo and Call of duty 2 and is not smoothy. Not even close to the other iMac "17 with the ATI. So, is there any way to upgrade the firmware or check if everything is ok?

Thx!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
Hi there,...I just gotmy iMac 24" with the 8800 GS and its seems is not working as everyone says... I tried it with Halo and Call of duty 2 and is not smoothy. Not even close to the other iMac "17 with the ATI. So, is there any way to upgrade the firmware or check if everything is ok?

Thx!

Something is really really wrong if your 8800 equipped iMac isn't DESTROYING an older 17" iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 13" MacBook
Are the latest patches applied for those games, and are you running at the correct resolutions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.