Imac G5 Power PC 2.0Ghz corsair ram memory compatible?

Reaction score
Once again in a quick need to get some ram I let the idiot at fry's talk me into getting this particular ram for my Imac model# M9845LL/A G5 20 inch powerpc model the 2nd model. I bought this ram its the "Corsair" model# VS1GB400C3 Here is a link to a photo of it. Will it be compatible with my imac I didnt put it in yet as I was fearful of it causing a problem. I swear I tried everything to tell the sales guy it was for a IMac and that its picky. So any out there can tell me if this memory is okay for my actual "Model#" of my imac?

VS1GB400C3: All Search Results - Buy.com

I really appreciate anyones help that really knows for sure the compatibility with my actual specific imac model above. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I bought this ram its the "Corsair" model# VS1GB400C3 Here is a link to a photo of it. So any out there can tell me if this memory is okay for my actual "Model#" of my imac?

To quote an old byline a Mac tech mate of mine repeats endlessly - "if in doubt, leave it out" ... and he's referring to suspect RAM (just in case you needed to know that :Mischievous: ).

The Corsair may work fine, but if I were you I'd sell it to recoup at least some of your money, and then go here Find the latest Performance Upgrades, Firewire and USB Hard Drives, SATA, Memory, Laptop Battery, and more at OWC to get specific Mac-compatible RAM. Crucial and Kingston brand RAM is also recommended for Macs.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks Hughvane. I just was trying to check as I looked up this model of the corsair memory once I got "Home" to only find it not listed on the list as imac. Not saying it would not work but not that it would either. The reason I even got it was because I tried getting it from the "Apple" store and they dont sell it any more.. The Geniuse guy said you can through just about any type of ram in it as long as the specs are the same. So I thought I would try. I never put it in yet cause I didnt want to screw up my system or kill any of my existing ram. Anyone else have any thoughts?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Around 2.5 years ago now I purchased a Corsair 1GB stick for my then new iMac G5 iSight. It worked fine for a few months then I started to get corruption then Kernel Panics. Removed the stick all was normal. I googled that exact stick and found MANY having the same issues except in PC's with Windows and Blue Screens. Up to that point I had great luck with other Corsair memory in my PC's.

I replaced it with a 512MB Kingston RAM and all was fine again. Later I purchased a 2GB stick of Kingston and it works great.

Since so many had issues with that 1GB module I am guessing Corsair did something wrong somewhere.

Another vote for OWC. They know Macs and stand behind their ram.

Reaction score
Any RAM as long as its the same specs and type or faster should work. Also I vote against OWC and recommend Newegg or Mwave. They have constantly been cheaper for the exact same RAM sticks than OWC throughout several years for me.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Newegg IS cheaper but if the RAM fails try and get them to replace it. They will not even RMA a lot of things they used to in the past like motherboards for one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.