Help on Buying External Optical Drive

Reaction score
My dvd/cd optical drive has crapped out, and I've been thinking about getting an external one. I would get it fixed, but from what I understand, it would be cheaper to just go this route.

The OWC Mercury Value is what I'm looking at now (dead link removed). My question is, can you play cds and dvds on this, or is just for burning? Companies seem to market external optical drives as being great to burn with, but never mention actually playing other cds and dvds. So either they are purely for burning (ideal for someone with an older computer that may not be able to burn) or this is just an obvious function that most people would assume that playback was included. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4
Sorry, but we could not find your requested item.

While the product page you requested did not match an item on our site, we do offer great deals on 1000's of products. Select an option below or use our search box above to find exactly what you are looking for:

I'm 99% sure it will play though :) Can't say 100% with out seeing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4
Read Speed:

* DVD-R up to 20X
* DVD-R (DL) up to 12X
* DVD-RW up to 6X
* DVD+R up to 20X
* DVD+R (DL) up to 12X
* DVD+RW up to 8X
* CD-R up to 40X
* CD-RW up to 32X

Found it and...Yes it will

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

Which model Mac do you have? Keep in mind that if you ever have to re-install OS X because of hard drive failure, that external drive may not work to boot the machine. You might be better off replacing the internal drive yourself.

Go to iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories and look at their price and instructions for DIY.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.