Any suggestions for a video capture device?

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new here. I have a Macbook and want to capture video from a source like my cable DVR and would love any suggestions as to which hardware device would be best. I'd love for the quality to be good. My DVR has multiple outputs including s-video, RGB, and hdmi. Is there something I can plug into the firewire or usb port of my Macbook and capture a movie with decent quality?

Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
ElGato devices are probably the best for Macs.

They have 2, the EyeTV Hybrid and the EyeTV 250 Plus.

Best price is probably going to be found at Amazon or newegg.

Reaction score
I used to work in a multimedia lab. We had a beautifully simple little video capture box. You could just plug in a vcr or dvd player into the box and then plug the box into your mac via firewire and transfer the video straight into iMovie. It was really that easy. I don't know where to find something like that but if anyone else does that would be great. I think most people don't need and eyeTV tuner (which I've had too many bad experiences with) but something simple like this. Anybody know?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.