Multiple Hard Drive Failures

Reaction score
I have had three hard drive failures recently on my G4 Ibook and I am trying to figure out if this is logic board issue or three bad drives. My original failed and then two 160gb hitachi drives were installed and each crashed within a day. I have an external drive installed which works fine. Once the internal drives crash I cannot get access to them to run disc utilities. Occasionally they appear on the desktop and when I run the apple hardware test, i once got a hardware failure code. The latest hard drive to fail started clicking and then died, also indicating a hard drive failure rather than a logic board issue. It is possible something in the ata controller or ribbon is causing them to crash?? Any other ideas? Do I try for another brand or just use an external.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Did you try replacing the hard drive cable that runs to the logic board? Just a suggestion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.