Paths and Networking

Reaction score
I just got me first MacBook. Enjoying it, but facing a couple of frustrations.

In Windows, I always use the Address Bar to get to certain places, like other computers and IPs. What's the Mac alternative? Or am I stuck with the limitations?

Secondly, I am unable to see my computer from other Windows PCs, and I don't know what my computer's name on the network is. How do I find/change my computer's network name, and how do I enable other Windows PCs to access my Mac?

Unrelated question: I want to install Windows through Boot Camp, but I'm worried that doing a full format on a partition would be somewhat unhealthy for my brand new harddrive. Am I right to fear so? And will I be able to just delete the partition when I want to, and change it back to how it was, or will there be complications?

Thanks in advance.

[edit] Oh yes. How do I make my MacBook keys glow?

Reaction score
For sharing go to system preferences and click sharing.
For the keys go system preferences and click keyboard and mouse.
Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Set Finder Preferences (Under Finder on the menu bar) to show other computers, HDs etc in the side bar.

Finder > View > Show Path bar may help orientate you too.

I won't have Windows apps anywhere near my Mac so someone else will have to help with Boot Camp which is built into Leopard on Intel Macs. :)

Reaction score
There's nothing you really need to fear about installing Windows via bootcamp. And, yes, you can revert the Windows partition if (when) you decide to dump it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.