.jpgs Edited in ACDSEE Not Compatible on Mac

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
Sounds like you're using the Guest account (and yes, the Windows machine must have credentials supplied to it in order for you to access its drives remotely - this may have been hidden from you, or there is no password set, but it still needs authentication).

On the Windows machine, right-click My Computer in the Start Menu. Click Manage. Go into Local Users and Groups. Click on Users. See what accounts are listed in there. The Guest Account should have a red X over it, if it does not, that's likely the account whose authority is being used to access the files. You'll want to change that for security reasons.
I do now see that the Finder window tells me I'm logged onto the drive a "Guest".

I'll give it a try later (windows password or guest credentials). I've got to shove off to work now.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I do now see that the Finder window tells me I'm logged onto the drive a "Guest".

I'll give it a try later (windows password or guest credentials). I've got to shove off to work now.

Yup, I would actually disable the Guest account and set up a new account specifically for remote access. Give that account a password and put it in the Power Users group, where it will have a little more latitude with the files.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
Yup, I would actually disable the Guest account and set up a new account specifically for remote access. Give that account a password and put it in the Power Users group, where it will have a little more latitude with the files.
OK..did it real quick...added a new account and a password to the default log-on that my wife uses. It still logs me on as guest from the iMac.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK..did it real quick...added a new account and a password to the default log-on that my wife uses. It still logs me on as guest from the iMac.

Did you disable the Guest account?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
Did you disable the Guest account?
OK..no didn't do that. Will have to re-try when I get home later tonight....will post an update when I do so.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, that should force it to prompt you for credentials when you try to connect. Then you can use the username and password for the account you created. That should eliminate the permissions problem (particularly if you did indeed add that account to the power users group).

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
OK, that should force it to prompt you for credentials when you try to connect. Then you can use the username and password for the account you created. That should eliminate the permissions problem (particularly if you did indeed add that account to the power users group).
OK ...nope. After disabling the Guest account, I get a "Connection Failed" message when I try to connect to the XP machine through Finder on the password'ed account I added. I even set up two different accounts, neither of which will connect.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK ...nope. After disabling the Guest account, I get a "Connection Failed" message when I try to connect to the XP machine through Finder on the password'ed account I added. I even set up two different accounts, neither of which will connect.

Interesting. Can you "eject" the existing connection to the share (should show up on the side bar of the Finder) then go to the Finder menu, click Go => Connect to Server. Then, type the following in the computer name field:

smb://<computername/<sharedfoldername>

(replace the <computername> and <sharefoldername> with their respective names).

When it establishes a new connection, it should prompt you for credentials.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
Interesting. Can you "eject" the existing connection to the share (should show up on the side bar of the Finder) then go to the Finder menu, click Go => Connect to Server. Then, type the following in the computer name field:
No, I can't eject. I tried to right click and there's no option to eject and the eject icon adjacent to the computername isn't there
smb://<computername/<sharedfoldername>
(replace the <computername> and <sharefoldername> with their respective names).
When it establishes a new connection, it should prompt you for credentials.
OK...I'll give that a try later tonight (went to work early today...there, or here now:Grimmace: ).

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
No, I can't eject. I tried to right click and there's no option to eject and the eject icon adjacent to the computername isn't there
OK...I'll give that a try later tonight (went to work early today...there, or here now:Grimmace: ).
OK...finally got it to work.

I went back, deleted all the accounts I created. That left my wife's account, the default Windows XP accounts and Guest. I added the Guest account as part of Power Users and Administrators group. Then I re-enabled it and after that I could access ALL files on the Windows machine.

I could not, for the life of me, get the Mac to access the Windows machine as anything other than Guest. I just wouldn't authenticate any of my credentials.

Thanks for all the help in pointing me in the right direction.:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.