Yet another convert...

Reaction score
As a recent convert and lurker, I would like to say hello and thank the people in this forum for all the great info that helped in the decision process.

After many years as a PC user I finally pulled the string on a 17” 1.8 Ghz iMac. I had no experience with Macs except for some time I spent on an Apple Lisa circa 1985. But I don’t really think that counts, it was so long ago. I must say that this thing is intuitive, plenty powerful for my needs and quite attractive. I love being back on UNIX (although I forgot a lot).

I have already enjoyed several days of use without having to install “upgrades”, run Spybot: Search and Destroy and upgrade my anti-virus. It appears to be true what people say about Macs. They just work.

My son is not happy with me though. Being a computer science major and gamer, he is PC entrenched. I have received much abuse. Ironically, he was home for the weekend and seriously missing his PC at school to play WoW. So finally he broke down and loaded it on the iMac. I still kept getting abuse from him. So after playing the game for a while I asked him how it ran. All I ever got out of him was he hated the mouse. That’s it, the mouse. I just think he had to find something…

Anyway, I did find one flaw. The iMac is so small it renders the packing box unusable for storage.

I am sure that I will have questions to ask and hopefully as I learn, I’ll be able to answer some questions as well. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
congrats on the switch and new imac.:mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
Congrats! If the mouse thing ever starts to bug you get the mouse we've been talking about int this thread: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13202

It's a two button mouse with a scroll wheel and can be had in either USB or BT. Best part... it perfectly matches the original. :)

-Chris

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Gryphonz said:
My son is not happy with me though. Being a computer science major and gamer, he is PC entrenched. I have received much abuse.
First congrats on your new system of choice.

If you son is only using PCs in his major, then he has a problem. Most computer majors will run into different flavors of operating systems. M$ windows being just one of them. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
I have to agree about the mouse, especially when you are used to 2 button mice with scroll wheels-- it feels like you've had one of your fingers cut off when you try to use a single button mouse. You'd think that Apple would have produced a two button mouse by now. Anyways, as a computer science major I'd think he'd love that the system is based on Unix, but maybe he didn't have time to get into the guts of the OS.

I

IChing

I have a hp desktop (2years old) that came with an optical serial mouse, already had a microsoft optical us b 2 mouse, just plugged it in to my powerbook no drivers works great until I can get a bt mouse that I want.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome...

As far a the mouse goes, I am getting used to the one button and actually liking it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.