Anti-Virus Software

Reaction score
I'm trying to get some anti-virus software for my macbook pro that is reliable and free. If anyone knows anything, please let me know.

OP
K
Reaction score
Is there any free, reliable anti-virus software out there for a Mac? I'm almost certain that my MacBook Pro is infected with a keylogger and I'd like to get rid of it. Any help would be great, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
Any need for Antivirus

It is commonly accepted that Macs do not really need an antivirus program due to the efficiency of their OS's security, however I do accept that considering the fact that some of us are using Windows on our macs and due to that, macs have become prone to viruses. There is also another added element agreed that with the increasing popularity of macs, there is a need for an antivirus.
OK... my question is....
1. If someone uses only Mac OS and Mac programs without any interaction of Windows(bootcamp) or Fusion, etc... on his/her machine, does he/she still need an antivirus program??
2. If yes, which antivirus is there (other than Norton) that is not resource hungry and provides excellent coverage from viruses, malware, etc...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
In short no. No doubt when, and if, a Mac OS X virus comes into being we will all hear the PC orientated press jubilantly trumpeting about it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
Is there such a thing as a virus that only attacks Macs?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There have been a few proof of concept.

There has yet to be a single virus in the wild that affects OS X.

There are a couple of Trojans out there, but you still have to enter your password to install them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There have been a few proof of concept.

There has yet to be a single virus in the wild that affects OS X.

There are a couple of Trojans out there, but you still have to enter your password to install them.
I'm guessing the Unix platform still remains the best and the safest when it comes to trojans. As for viruses, if there are any wild ones for Unix (which is unlikely) they may have an effect on OS X too. \
Well, that's the way I figure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.