Apple says- Get Antivirus!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)
I was listening to Mac OS Ken, my favorite podcast, when he said something that made me jump. Apparently, Apple posted on it's a support website a piece of advice to Mac users. We should get antivirus software!!!:eek: They suggested ClamXav (google it. it's free), Norton Antivirus for mac, and a few others. Have you heard anything about this? I bought a Mac to stay away from viruses. This is really annoying!

Reaction score
Just read this on BBC News as well.

And here I had hoped my Mac was impenetrable.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OS X, and any computer operating system, is susceptible the viruses - that is a fact, and a long-standing one at that. The difference between OS X and Windows is that it is not prone to viruses because there are built-in safeguards that make it very difficult to write a successful virus unless there is an unpatched hole. This is precisely why there has never been an "in-the-wild" virus for OS X.

Although Apple may now officially recommend an anti-virus product, they're simply useless as they have nothing to scan for (aside from Windows viruses). I'll also go a step forward and say that provided you are cognizant of any requests for your administrator password, you'll likely never have an issue with any kind of malware.

Also note that this thread doesn't meet the guidelines for being posted in Rumors & Reports, so I've moved it.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
Upon reading this BBC story this morning, I came here posthaste to see what was being said about it.
I agree with cwa: I think OS X is just as safe from the types of viruses we are familiar with. What gave me pause were the last 2 paragraphs of the story:
"However, in recent months, hi-tech criminals have signalled a change in tactics away from e-mail borne viruses. Instead, many are infiltrating popular webpages in a bid to infect the machine of any and every visitor.

Many seek to steal valuable information such as login names, passwords or game accounts instead of trying to install themselves on a machine."

This brings up a couple questions: Are server-side viruses really new? It sounds like pharming attacks to me. Can installing antivirus software on your Mac defeat those kinds of attacks? Are there more important questions I'm not asking? Your analysis please!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Upon reading this BBC story this morning, I came here posthaste to see what was being said about it.
I agree with cwa: I think OS X is just as safe from the types of viruses we are familiar with. What gave me pause were the last 2 paragraphs of the story:
"However, in recent months, hi-tech criminals have signalled a change in tactics away from e-mail borne viruses. Instead, many are infiltrating popular webpages in a bid to infect the machine of any and every visitor.

Many seek to steal valuable information such as login names, passwords or game accounts instead of trying to install themselves on a machine."

This brings up a couple questions: Are server-side viruses really new? It sounds like pharming attacks to me. Can installing antivirus software on your Mac defeat those kinds of attacks? Are there more important questions I'm not asking? Your analysis please!

Those kinds of drive-by downloads are nothing new. I would be concerned about them if I was running something like IE that is prone to holes that can be opened with ActiveX scripts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
What is the best (and free) antivirus for the mac? No way i'm putting on the junk called Mcafee or norton!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
clamxav is free...if its good or not is a debatable issue...you would consider an antivirus to be good when its effective in finding viruses...on a mac as far as i know i have nenver had a virus (apart from pc viruses which are detected)
its a paradox...you will never know if an antivirus is good or not till it detects a virus...& thats exactly what you dont want!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 24-inch iMac; 14-inch iBook G4
Apple encourages antivirus use

Apple now encourages users to install anti virus utilities on their Macs. Here's Apple's support link: Mac OS: Antivirus utilities
I found this from a MacWorld post. I'm currently using PC Tool's iAntivirus (free) on my Intel iMac but still looking for a suitable utility for my iBook G4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
Those kinds of drive-by downloads are nothing new. I would be concerned about them if I was running something like IE that is prone to holes that can be opened with ActiveX scripts.

And Safari isnt prone to attacks? i recall in a past competition Safari was the first one to get comprimised allowing full access to the system...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If it's only to keep myself from passing on viruses to Windows users, I think I'll pass on the drain to my system resources. Let Windows users deal with their own viruses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
no, it would be to keep your own system from becoming comprimised from a bad website that uses code to take over your system

Now, anyone who watches their browsing habits you are probably safe for the most part, Apple has been recommending people use AV for some years now.. and every couple years it pops back up as some big news release because un-knowning OS's users spread the false sense that OS / OSX is inpenetreble!!! and a perfect os!! it can never get a virus / spyware / malware or ever be comprimised!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've had my Mac for about two years now. I've done a good share of unsafe browsing, yet I'm still problem-free. Sure, OS X may not be impenetrable, but it's pretty darn close.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Nothing has changed. Come to Apple Online and spend a buck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
There is nothing new about this advice.
Apple has suggested such software and sold it online and in its retail outlets for years now.

OP
Forum Shark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)
Who Knows?

You're right cwa, it's not likely to get a virus, but now Apple itself is suggesting it. This could mean they know something we don't, and they found a big opening in it's firewall. I know that's a terrible theory, but, hey, why else would Apple (who, for so many years, boasted about it's "virus-free" computers) be worried about this all of a sudden? Perhaps Apple will even release a security update sometime within this next month?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Forum, as DB said, Apple has been doing this for a long time, there is nothing special about this latest in a long line of advisories.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I figured such. Thanks Kash. I do agree with DB on this.

Old news but please Apple, Norton? NO WAY! :D

ClamAVx here if I ever do need an AV.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.