ATI Raedon 128MB 2400 vs. 256MB 2600 PRO

Reaction score
I am just a basic Mac user (maybe minor web design - mostly for hobby & blogs etc.) and have Photoshop CS4, again just for hobby...this is not my career nor am I trying to make it one. I just happen to be a PC convert and have LOVED every minute I have used a Mac (2 iBooks, MacBook, and MacBook Pro). I donate (and convert) my family/friends w/my older macs when I upgrade and I'm getting ready to purchase my first iMac.

My options: (I work at an educational institution, hence the discount)
$1262 - 20" model w/upgrades to 2GB memory and 320 GB HD 128MB Graphics
$1399 - 20" model w/standard 2GB memory and 320 GB HD 256MB Graphics

Or

Should I wait. I'm in no real hurry to get the iMac, but as I'm sure any Mac user can attest I'm really eager to get on a new machine. Can someone explain what the benefits of waiting might be. If I could get a 24" for roughly the same price and all I have to do is wait until January, I'd MUCH rather wait. If it's a little faster processor I think I'd just get one now. Thoughts?

Or is it safe to pull the trigger, if so, which of the above would you recommend? Which is the most "bank for the buck"? I guess the real question is, can you justify paying the extra cash for the better graphics card? And what is the difference between the cards - I can't seem to find specifics.

Hope this is the right forum for this type of question!! If not, I apologize.

Thanks in advance for your input!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.