Airport Extreme Connected But No Internet?

Reaction score
I can not get access to the internet.

I have purchased a 2006 iMac running OS 10.5 (Leopard).

I was gifted an Airport Extreme (squashed Hershey kiss; M8799LL) with internal modem.

I seem (as identified in Diagnostics) to be connected to my wireless network and have connected to my ISP (I can hear the machine talk on my land line) but I do not have internet access.

I have gone over everything I can find to configure the system.

Should I be suspect that the Airport Extreme I have possibly predates my 2006 iMac and there is a communication problem?

My ISP is a bit clueless when it comes to Macs - how would I confirm if they are not compatible with the Airport Extreme?

Any ideas?

Thank you.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just wondering, who is your ISP? Is this Dialup since you said you heard the modem connecting?

OP
C
Reaction score
My ISP is Boo.Net, now owned by Delmarva.

I have a dial-up service.

The service works fine on my Power G3 with an external Zoom modem.

To use my Airport Extreme I disconnect my telephone line in front of the Answering Machine, Phone and Zoom and plug it into the back of the Airport Extreme (this is not the current model).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did a bit of reading on the older Airport Extreme with the modem. Are you using the Airport Configuration Utility and setting up the DialUp connection? Do you have the username and password of the Dialup connection set up in the Airport Config? I have never even gotten to use one of the older AE's but I almost bet it's a setting somewhere. Apples manual says little about the Modem part of the AE.

OP
C
Reaction score
I have gone through the setup more times than I can count.

I have gone through the setting for wireless with the ISP. Even if they do not understand the Mac they do have other Airport users.

I had someone else telling me I needed to configure my modem but there is no modem to configure on my Network only the Airport.

The modem inside the Airport Extreme does not read as a separate unit.

The modem does have all the appearances of communicating with the ISP. Safari can't find the page address (or any address) I call for.

I'm thinking there is some switch I haven't thrown too but have been unable to isolate it.

OP
C
Reaction score
solution

The DNS address' provided by my ISP did not work with the Airport Extreme modem (?). They do work with my external ZOOM modem connected to my Power Mac G3.

Apple Care (phone number 1-800-275-2273) was able to determine through remote diagnostics that the DNS server address' were not translating web page 'names' (www. yahoo.com) to IP address'.

Apple Care provided through OpenDNS (web site) new numbers that did work.

From what I can gather the DNS address' sent from the Airport Extreme are read differently by the ISP and dumped as SPAM. (??!!)

The numbers I was given are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 (oldschool) running on Tiger
I am actually having the same problem right now. I just purchased Airport Express today and I have a Powerbook G4 that is running on Tiger. I followed the set up guide, set my password and settings, and I tried restarted my cable modem, I restarted the Airport, and I restarted my computer but everytime I get on Safari or Firefox it says that it cannot bring up the webpage becasue I am not connected to the internet, but Airport is telling me I have a full signal and when I run Network Diagnostics to find the problem it says that it can't figure it out. Can anyone help me out? Much appreciated.

OP
C
Reaction score
ISP connection and DNS servers

xanzibar,

I solved this problem on my G3 and iMac by configuring the Airport (from the iMac) this way:
(system preferences \ network \ airport \ advanced \ TCP/IP \ (IPv4: = Using DHCP)(IPv6: = automatically). This allows my ISP to send a dynamic server address' back to me (I have been told).

And if you have been inputting DNS address' in "Airport Utility"
delete them and leave the input squares blank.

Since you are on a different machine and OS (if the above does not work) you can try using DNS address' provided via "OpenDNS."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No luck using system preferences and then looking to at Airport Utility to see if I need to delete anything. I would call my ISP, but you say Apple or Mac and there is a pause on the other line. I might have to call Apple or the computer services office at my University. Thanks for the help.

OP
C
Reaction score
university?

xanzibar,

If you are trying to connect to a university system why do you have an ISP? Doesn't the university supply access to a campus network?

Seems the university network administrator would be the next call.

Or if you have Apple Care ... do use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am not connecting to the university network, I actually live off-campus, but I pay a computer fee, so they should be able to help me. My ISP is a little behind on dealing with Macs. I don't have Apple Care unfortunately as I bought this computer in 2004. It's probably something really simple that I'm missing here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.