Fan control on macbook pro.

Reaction score
So i just purchased a macbook pro with the core 2 duo intel processors, the 15 inch. I got it discounted as the new one just recently launched. I imiedetly noticed my computer was running hot and did some googling and discovered the program to control fan speeds. I tried both ones out, right now i am using the one that is in the system preferences.

I have a few questions.

1) does running the fans at eleveated RPMs for extended periods of time produce any additional wear to the fans that may be detrimental to their longevity?

2) why do they run these things so hot? Is it to conserve battery life and keep them quiet?

3) What are the exact default settings for
a) base temperature
b)minimum temperature threshold
c) maximum threshold temp

4) how does this affect waranty.
5) has anyone experianced problems from these programs
6) does running cooler help longevity of the computer?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So i just purchased a macbook pro with the core 2 duo intel processors, the 15 inch. I got it discounted as the new one just recently launched. I imiedetly noticed my computer was running hot and did some googling and discovered the program to control fan speeds. I tried both ones out, right now i am using the one that is in the system preferences.

I have a few questions.

1) does running the fans at eleveated RPMs for extended periods of time produce any additional wear to the fans that may be detrimental to their longevity?

As with any mechanical part, the more you use it, the shorter its lifespan will be.

2) why do they run these things so hot? Is it to conserve battery life and keep them quiet?

Modern notebooks (from any manufacturer) run warm. This is why the industry has moved away from referring to them as "laptops", since they are not meant to be used on one's lap. If you must do so, invest in a lap desk. It's important that air is able to circulate beneath the machine, which is the reason for the feet under the machine. Keep in mind that modern notebooks use components that are just as powerful as many desktop PCs, but they have a fraction of the space to use for cooling. Also, since the MacBooks are made out of aluminum, the case acts as a heatsink.

3) What are the exact default settings for
a) base temperature
b)minimum temperature threshold
c) maximum threshold temp

It's thermostatically controlled, but I'm not sure on the precise temps that it's set to kick in at.

4) how does this affect waranty.
5) has anyone experianced problems from these programs
6) does running cooler help longevity of the computer?

I have not, but I would say that unless you're paranoid, it's best just to leave the machine manage its own fans. If you don't care for the external temps, invest in a notebook cooling pad for use on your lap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac
I agree with the last statement.

I've never used a fan controller, but i do use a mat that dissipates heat.

OP
J
Reaction score
well i had speculated thats why apple made the thing so thin and out of aluminum. When i do use it on my lap i am usually laying on my back with my knee up the air so the laptop lays on my stomach and thigh with an air space underneeth the bulk of the laptop.

I've been keeping the computer at 113*F/45*C based on the temperature gauge in my fan program. fans been running at around 3900 rpms to maintain temperature. When i unplug the laptop and i want to be mobile i put the fan back to the slower default speeds to help with battery life.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.