G5 Processor upgrade - true that you cannot?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X Leopard, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac, 2GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I understand that I cannot upgrade my processor speed no matter what on my iMac 1.8 GHz processor. Is that really true? It seems hard to believe that I have to pony up for an entirely new system when all I really need is more speed. Well, more than 2GB of RAM would help, too, and I understand that I cannot upgrade that, either.

Am I really stuck buying an entirely new computer for a little more speed and memory? Is this Apple's Achilles Heel? Don;t get me wrong, I love my Mac over my Windows infested PC, but at least I could upgrade components.

Terry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
According to everymac.com, for all 1.8 GHz G5 iMacs, you're stuck with the original processor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Your imac is now four years old and the slim design of the machine incorporates the CPU as part of the logic board so an upgrade similar to the G4 towers etc. is not possible, alas.

Best result maybe to sell prior to release of Snow Leopard, which is reported to be multi core Intel compatible only, and look for an Intel iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The only Macs that are officially upgradeable internally are PowerMacs / Mac Pros. You're usually limited to RAM and the harddrive on all other models.

The RAM is limited by the motherboard / chipset, but even PCs from that era are likely to be capped to about 2GB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.