USB Flash Drive won't work on some windows computers

Reaction score
I have a Kingston 1GB flash drive that I use on my MacBook. According to Disk Utility, it is formatted as a "MS-DOS File System (FAT 16)"

However, the computers at my school are windows. The flash drive works fine on certain computers, but on others, it doesn't. Windows recognizes that there is a USB, but it says an error occurred. It calls it "unknown device" in device manager. It doesn't show up in my computer.

Any suggestions? Your comments are much appreciated!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Have you tried formatting it on a PC? It might be a driver issue as well on a PC. Although it's kind of strange for a USB thumbdrive to need a driver?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
it's not a format issue, it's a driver issue and yep.. they do need drivers. Just like hard drive controllers ;)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
it's not a format issue, it's a driver issue and yep.. they do need drivers. Just like hard drive controllers ;)

Wow if it's a driver issue, and then you are using computer's at school that could be a problem because they have restrictions on installing things. That could be a potential problem.

I think that it's strange that a thumbdrive need a driver. >_>" Kind of sad especially since it's suppose to be plugin and play?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
plug and play just means that a compatible driver is supposed to be installed. Just like IDE hard drives ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
Guess that's why when you plug a USB into a PC that doesn't have it installed, it says "new hardware found" and it takes a minute before you can access the thumbdrive. Learn something new everyday.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.