Memory & Storage

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro 15in

If I wanted to upgrade my memory from 2gb to 3 can I just replace one of the 1gb chips with a 2gb chip?

Also I was thinking of upgrading my internal hard drive, is it possible and if it is easy to install.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yes

Depends on which MacBook Pro you have. The new ones are pretty easy. The older ones, it is not considered a user replaceable part.

OP
L
Reaction score
Memory and Storage

I'm looking to increase the memory of my MacBook Pro to 3gb, can I just replace one of the 1gb sticks it came with, in exchange for a 3gb stick, or would I have to replace both.

Also, I want to increase the storage of my HDD. What is the biggest I can get put any and does anyone have in suggestion for Drives and instructions on how to install it.

VR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Head over to macsales.com and see what your machine can take. They also have a trade in program or you could always sell the existing sticks. Is this a new unibody? Lambeau? Packer fan?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
O dear not the packers fans!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
O dear not the packers fans!

Badger fan as well. I live in WI and my neighbor puts out her Buckeye flag every Saturday. My other neighbor that I know a little better has a Gopher flag, but I always take it down and put up a Badger one!

Reaction score
Thanks waterpolo,
Are the harddrive hard to replace?

The hard drive is easy to replace, but voids warranty if you have it still. Check out iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories for a guide to replace your drive or search youtube. The right side where the DVD drive is is sometimes the toughest part to separate. I have done two MBP hard drive swaps and they were both tough at that spot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
Thanks waterpolo,
Are the harddrive hard to replace?

If you have the new MBP it might or might not void the warranty if you replace the HDD, if I'm not mistaken they did the same thing to the new MBP as they had with the MBs so that swapping the HDDs is easy as popping a cover and taking out the old and replacing it with the new.. (I'm not sure though check it out before)

If it is the older MBPs then it all depends on how much you know about computers. For me it takes about 20 minutes to take out the old and put in the new, cause I have replaced a lot of them. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself local computer stores can do this for you, so does the Apple store Also it does void your warranty if you do this, so wait till it is over to do this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 2gb Ram 15.4" Santa Rosa
What would you do.... I can't do this kind of change myself, but, Macservice.com seems to offer what I need. But, should I wait for the 500gb 7200rpm to come out, or get the 320gb 7200rpm? Only problem is that they only offer the Hitachi HD for this. seems the seagate has the best reputation though.

Would a 500gb 5400rpm samsung be noticable speedwise? Any input would be appreciated... the more I read about this stuff the more confused I get!!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
What would you do.... I can't do this kind of change myself, but, Macservice.com seems to offer what I need. But, should I wait for the 500gb 7200rpm to come out, or get the 320gb 7200rpm? Only problem is that they only offer the Hitachi HD for this. seems the seagate has the best reputation though.

Would a 500gb 5400rpm samsung be noticable speedwise? Any input would be appreciated... the more I read about this stuff the more confused I get!!

If you are worried about speed. I would totally get Seagate Momentus 5400.6 HDD. They currently are the fastest HDD in the 500GB capacity drives that are out now.

Samsung read and write speeds are a snail compared to Seagate Momentus 5400.6 & WD's Scorpio Blue. Not to mention it drains more energy than 7200 RPM HDDs that are on the market now. As far as I'm concerned Samsung's M6 is garbage.

Their new 256 SDD on the other hand is very nice. ^-^"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.