Finally made the switch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4GHz,4GB,200GB
Well after getting completely annoyed and having problems with my pc, I purchased a macbook pro on friday. Got a really good deal and now I am just waiting for it to be delivered. I am so excited, I cannot wait to start using it. I do have a couple of questions:
1)I have read that these laptops do run hot. Should I consider a cooling pad or something else to help with that issue?
2)Should I install an antivirus/antispyware program? I found something called iantivirus that is made for a mac.

I want to make sure I protect this investment as it was costly, even though I got a good deal. Thanks in advance for the responses...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Well after getting completely annoyed and having problems with my pc, I purchased a macbook pro on friday. Got a really good deal and now I am just waiting for it to be delivered. I am so excited, I cannot wait to start using it. I do have a couple of questions:
1)I have read that these laptops do run hot. Should I consider a cooling pad or something else to help with that issue?
2)Should I install an antivirus/antispyware program? I found something called iantivirus that is made for a mac.

I want to make sure I protect this investment as it was costly, even though I got a good deal. Thanks in advance for the responses...

1. Try using it on a desk or table and you should be fine. They do not call them laptops (they are now called notebooks) anymore for a reason. I use mine on my lap, but not for long periods of time. There is always smcFanControl if you want to crank up the fans.

2. Don't waste your time and/or money with any antivirus or antispyware software on the Mac.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MD, thanks for the reply. One other question. I bought an upgrade for the memory. Should I switch that before I start using the notebook. The MBP will be here today, but the memory upgrade is not scheduled to be delivered until tomorrow.

Reaction score
2. Don't waste your time and/or money with any antivirus or antispyware software on the Mac.

I switched on friday just gone.. despite all the stories / nay sayers etc - I have installed both a/v & a/s + boosted the firewall on my Macbook...

IMPO - i'd rather be anal & over-protected, than under protected... whilst mac's may have been virus free & just POC's of virii produced thus far to date, i'd rather not get complacent about it all & lapse into the famed (perhaps false) sense of security mac users typically have towards virus & malware on their machines...

especially more so, since apple put out a warning today... Why would a vendor warn, so publicly, if they were not at least a bit concerned?

Just my 2 penneth...

Reaction score
MD, thanks for the reply. One other question. I bought an upgrade for the memory. Should I switch that before I start using the notebook. The MBP will be here today, but the memory upgrade is not scheduled to be delivered until tomorrow.

Start using it as soon as you get it :D
Memory can be upgraded whenever you like.

Why would a vendor warn, so publicly, if they were not at least a bit concerned?

To avoid legal issues.
Malware exists for Macs, it never used to and Apple was very boastful about this.
That being said, the only malware I've seen reported you would have to be incredibly stupid to fall for downloading.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I switched on friday just gone.. despite all the stories / nay sayers etc - I have installed both a/v & a/s + boosted the firewall on my Macbook...

IMPO - i'd rather be anal & over-protected, than under protected... whilst mac's may have been virus free & just POC's of virii produced thus far to date, i'd rather not get complacent about it all & lapse into the famed (perhaps false) sense of security mac users typically have towards virus & malware on their machines...

especially more so, since apple put out a warning today... Why would a vendor warn, so publicly, if they were not at least a bit concerned?

Just my 2 penneth...

Obviously, you are free to download and run whatever software you think you need. However, I will save those CPU cycles and the memory for something useful.

Reaction score
Start using it as soon as you get it :D
Memory can be upgraded whenever you like.

To avoid legal issues.
Malware exists for Macs, it never used to and Apple was very boastful about this.
That being said, the only malware I've seen reported you would have to be incredibly stupid to fall for downloading.

Obviously, you are free to download and run whatever software you think you need. However, I will save those CPU cycles and the memory for something useful.

See, now this is what does worry me, having been in the redmond camp for so long.. Just because Apple has been unaffected thus far - does'nt mean to say it's not immune & does'nt mean to say that this stuff is'nt in dev..

personally - i'm err-ing in the side of caution..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I've had my Macbook for almost two years now and I've done my fair share of unsafe browsing. Not a single problem thus far. OS X may not be 100% safe, but it's pretty darn close.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I've had my Macbook for almost two years now and I've done my fair share of unsafe browsing. Not a single problem thus far. OS X may not be 100% safe, but it's pretty darn close.

Ditto!

But, it is your computer.

Every anti-virus program on the market today looks for Windows viruses, which will not affect your Mac. Since there are no Mac viruses, none of them even know how or what to look for in regards to a Mac virus. If, or when, there is that first Mac virus in the wild, none of the current anti-virus programs will protect you from it.

As soon as the first Mac virus hits the wild, it will be on every Apple / Mac web site and on just about every news cast in the world within about 4 hours. Then the race will be on by all of these anti-virus companies to become the first to figure out how to combat that first Mac virus. Then, may be the time to consider installing one.

Now, if you trade files back and forth with a bunch of windows users, you may have a legitimate reason for having one on your Mac, just to help protect them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
As soon as the first Mac virus hits the wild, it will be on every Apple / Mac web site and on just about every news cast in the world within about 4 hours. Then the race will be on by all of these anti-virus companies to become the first to figure out how to combat that first Mac virus. Then, may be the time to consider installing one.

And with all that publicity that the first actual Mac virus will get, you can bet there are people out there working furiously in trying to pump one out so that they can claim to be the first ones to it. That really goes to show how secure OS X is and how silly the "security through obscurity" argument is.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My notebook arrived last night and it is awesome. This is so different from a pc. I am still confused trying to set up certain things. Hopefully I can get in touch with apple support today so they can walk me through it. I also think I will try some of the free classes at the local apple store. I really want to understand what this notebook is capable of doing. Can anyone recommend any books or tutorials that will help me. Also, how do I turn off voice over?

Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't get any books as i'm sure you can find all your information online or at the free classes you will be taking. That is my personal opinion though and i'm sure i have missed out on a few things becasue of it. Anyways though, if you need any help feel free to PM me with questions or just post a thread here. I am sure everyone is happy to help and Congrats :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
My notebook arrived last night and it is awesome. This is so different from a pc. I am still confused trying to set up certain things. Hopefully I can get in touch with apple support today so they can walk me through it. I also think I will try some of the free classes at the local apple store. I really want to understand what this notebook is capable of doing. Can anyone recommend any books or tutorials that will help me. Also, how do I turn off voice over?

This is what I bought and used at first:

Amazon.com: Mac OS X Leopard: The Missing Manual: David Pogue: Books

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks MD, that's exactly what I need.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have another question. Today I received the memory upgrade and I am going to install it later tonight. The package has 2 memory sticks. Does it matter if the sticks in the notebook are from different manufacturers or should I install both from the same manufacturer and take out the one that came with the notebook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Chances are you will have to remove the two in the notebook and replace them with the two from the kit. It doesn't matter who made them as long as they are the same type of memory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac--OSX 10.6.7
Another book you might find useful is "Switching to the Mac" by David Pogue and another in the Missing Manual series. This one explains how to do all the things you are used to doing on a PC on your new Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
Another book you might find useful is "Switching to the Mac" by David Pogue and another in the Missing Manual series. This one explains how to do all the things you are used to doing on a PC on your new Mac.

+1 This book is the best out there for switchers. It really eased me into some of the more complicated features of the mac.

Reaction score
I have another question. Today I received the memory upgrade and I am going to install it later tonight. The package has 2 memory sticks. Does it matter if the sticks in the notebook are from different manufacturers or should I install both from the same manufacturer and take out the one that came with the notebook?

I am willing to bet that you bought the exact same macbook pro that I did from newegg because of the great discount on black friday. I also have got the cheap extra ram and just installed it today in about 30 seconds. there is a video on youtube if you are unsure if you can do this: just put in 'install memory in a macbook pro'. the main reason I got mine is because I can use windows on it if I want and it has the firewire ports that the new macbooks lack. and no silly touch pad either. I STRONGLY suggest you go to an apple store and ask questions of the staff. they are like a cult sorta and unlike windows dorks, they will take their time and make sure that you understand how to do whatever you ask them about the mac. I hate this term that I heard about 10 years ago on aol when I did volunteer tech support in the mac or pc room but the mac heads said that the mac os is more 'elegant' than windows which may not have been true then but is **** sure true now. this macbook pro I have is the nicest computer by far I have ever owned.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One of One, that's when I bought mine, black friday. It was advertised on the home page, hard to miss it. Well, I have had the notebook now for a few days of operation and I LOVE IT! Everything about this notebook is completely different from a pc. I am glad I bought this. Some of the applications on this thing are really going to make a difference with my job. There is going to be a little bit of a learning curve for me, just trying to figure out everything this notebook can do. One of One, I would agree with your assessment of being more elegant. The look, feel and capabilities are so much better than any pc. I think I am going to purchase a book to help with the learning curve. I saw the missing manual book, but instead I might go with 2 other books the same author wrote about, one for iLife and one for iWorks. Everything else I think I can figure out from trial and error. I also signed up for one of the workshops at the mac store in the mall. The class was yesterday afternoon on iLife, and I was the only person that signed up. I got free one on one training. Just that brief overview was extremely helpful, so I will probably sign up for more of those. One question I have for members here that the tech guy could not answer, my digital camera can shoot videos. How can I load the videos from the camera into the video editing software? The tech guy was not sure how to do that. He said it would be better to use a video recorder, not a camera.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.