Ibook M2453

Reaction score
Hello:

Hello my niece received an IBook M2453 several months back from a friend. It didn't come with an install disk the current OS appears to be OS-9 version .1.

Her younger sister who suffers from ADHD and epilepic memory loss somehow got into the system and changed all the passwords which she now can't remember. I've contacted Mac support but they claim the OS is too old to support even in the Legacy Department.

I'm told from Mac Legacy Support I could possibly up date this computer with 256 MB of ran and install version 10.3. Although not sure if updating will solve this problem. Assuming I can find somewhere that still sells this outdated OS

Can anyone help us out.

Will install more ram and buying the new 10.3 OS allow us to reset the passwords?

Where in Southwestern Ontario, Canada would I be able to find such a place that would sell this OS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Aw, Clamshells...That's what started my fire for Apples....

They can actually support up to 10.4 (Tiger).
*Thinks*
I know there is a way to reset the passwords on it, I just don't remember how but I'm sure someone on here will remember how to do it. I think you have to do it through "Firmware".
If it's a 300MHz iBook, it can support 544MB of RAM
If it's a 366-466MHz iBook, it can support 576MB of RAM

I vehemently suggest getting the 512MB RAM stick and buying either 10.3 or 10.4 on eBay. It's significantly cheaper.

OP
C
Reaction score
Mac Os

Can I use a standard stick of 512ram from a local PC shop or will I need to buy from Mac?

The machine is an Ibook Model M2453. Apparently I need the disk to do a password reset correct?

Older ram here for PC is now dirt cheap and even cheaper for newer systems I've seen some G4's complete systems for sale at a place here called Computer Liquidators. This machine is a G3 correct?

Thanks for helping me out so quickly.

OP
C
Reaction score
ibook ram

Found a link that sells ibook ram here

Apple iBook 300MHz, 366MHz, 466MHz Clamshell (M2453) Memory 512 stick $49.98 appears rather steep as Computer Liquidators here in town sells 1GB sticks of DDR2 for $19 and $39 for older PC Ram. It's showing PC133 sticks (not laptop) not PC100 I have tons of these kicking around from older PC will using PC ram cause any troubles or do I need laptop ram?

I found the reset procedure for this computer once I have the Mac disk instructions state star from startup disk and once the installer screen comes up hit continue and look in the menu items for a option to reset the password.

Appears straight forward.

confuseduncle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.