Suddenly can't use tab or arrows to navigate in finder

Reaction score
This has just happened. I've been working on my mac for a bit today, and suddenly I'm not able to navigate through Finder with the tab or arrow keys. Not for than a few minutes ago, I was always able to use tab to go through the icons in the side bar and/or go to the files in a certain folder, and then use the arrows to cycle through the files I wanted, hitting return to open it, etc. Now it won't work. Tab or arrows just go through the folders or files in the current directory, and I have to click on the individual directory in the sidebar to select it. I haven't touched anything (knowingly, at least). Can anyone give me any advice? I've already restarted the computer, but that hasn't worked and I can't find anything in system preferences or anything like that that would give me a clue.

Anyone else have this problem?

This is an update/edit: Just now I was fooling around, hitting some combination of keys, and when I typed ctrl + f5 the previous arrow is highlighted, as are all the view buttons.

When I type ctrl + f7, the spotlight/spotlight space is highlighted -- but stangely enough, I have to press the keys a few times before that happens, as if the quick look and action buttons, which aren't highlighted at all with any of these key combinations, are sort of 'touched on' without being highlighted. Any advice is appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.