10.3/10.4 Tried to install Tiger now hard drive wiped

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have been trying to install Tiger on a Powerbook 64 (previously had 10.3).

I inserted the 10.4 disk, went through all the notions of selecting install location, and selected "Erase and install" option.

The disk verification was fine, then install started, got about half way, the said it failed. I tried this twice, and the same thing happened.

I then tried to reboot the powerbook, but now just get the flashing folder. When I boot up withj the disk in, holding down the Option key, I get the choice to select hardware test or DVD Install disk. I select the install disk, then see the Apple logo, then after about 30 secs I get the 'No entry' sign.

Why is this? And what are the possible reasons the initial 10.4 install could keep failing?

Would I be safe in saying the next step would be to format the drive (via target disk and another mac), and then try a completely fresh install of 10.3?

Cheers,
Dave

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Is this a retail disk of Tiger or is this a "borrowed" copy that came with another machine?

If borrowed, it will not work. The shipped disks are all system specific.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi. No, it's a multi-license copy.

If I'm going to be honest, I have tried installing with a non-retail copy in the past (yes, I know, bad), but it only caused a kernal panic on startup, it didn't actually let me get to the install screen. This is what makes me think it is not the problem?

D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Would suggest running the hardware test next, just to make sure.

And I've never personally had to deal with install issues (not on a Mac anyway), so if others have suggestions, feel free to add in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
You say you held down the Option key. Instead, hold down the C key when you insert the Tiger install disk, and then try proceeding from there. If that doesn't work, you could try the Panther install disk again. If that too fails, I'd suggest there is a sector on the hard drive that is bad.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi.. yes, sorry, before using the opition key, I tried booting from the disk ('c').
The Apple logo showed up, then the actual Apple logo went all corrupted, and the booting stopped. Really silly, I should have mentioned that in my first post.

If I was to boot in target disk mode, could I then format it (Journaled) in Disk Uti;ity on my second Mac then try and install again. Is it possible to do a new install on a completely formatted drive?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.