G5 iMac RAM

B

bmwstormer

I am wondering what the best place to buy G5 iMac memory online... and how easy is it to get into the computer? Thanks! :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
To add to this question, does anyone know the EXACT brand of memory used in the iMac? I have a 20" model on its way to me right now with 512Mb aboard and would like to add an adition 512Mb. I'm a big fan of matched pairs when possible.

-Chris

OP
P

parishm

bassplayrr said:
To add to this question, does anyone know the EXACT brand of memory used in the iMac? I have a 20" model on its way to me right now with 512Mb aboard and would like to add an adition 512Mb. I'm a big fan of matched pairs when possible.

-Chris

my 20" iMac came with Hynix memory and my friends came with
Samsung. Apple also uses Micron memory. Removing the rear cover
to change memory is very simple and involves loosening only 3 screws.

P....

OP
P

parishm

bmwstormer said:
Is any brand of SDRAM OK for use in an iMac?

as with all Macs you should only use quality RAM, you are asking
for problems using the cheap generic stuff.

i bought samsung memory to upgrade my iMac from macsolutions.com
they have good prices and a good reputation.

P....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks parishm! :mac:

-Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
Crucial is as good a place as any - with a guarantee that it will work (unless faulty).

Just go the new iMac G5, and for those in the UK, I bought a stick of PNY DDR 400 and it worked first time. However, the PNY that I bought for the eMac (which was standard SDRAM) worked, but only half of it was recognised.

Reaction score
bmwstormer said:
I am wondering what the best place to buy G5 iMac memory online... and how easy is it to get into the computer? Thanks! :headphone

I like http://www.newegg.com for buying anything on the internet, their prices are usually the best and their service and shipping is great. Their return policy is also very good.

Don't buy "cheap" or off brand stuff. I use Corsair myself in both my Power Mac G5 and iMac G5 and it works great.

As for getting into the iMac G5, couldn't be easier. Put a soft towel down and lay the iMac monitor down on it. There are only a few screws in the back and the whole back comes off and the slots are right there. Very easy to get at and change.

OP
K

ksun

I read an article (I'll see if I can find it) that said to make sure your RAM matches in the iMacs or else it won't use dual channel mode. Dual channel was shown to get about 5-7% performance boost on the iMac i saw tested.

Ideally you wouldn't just get the same brand, but make sure it was from the same batch.

The 512 in my iMac and the 512 upgrade I bought from apple were both Micron.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
ram

hi

i disagree with some of the earlier posts ram is ram
as long as its the same spec generic stuff works just fine
in a mac. lets face it your mac is not gonna explode cos you fitted
a third party brand of memory. if a pee cee can use it then a mac can.

though i would always use matched pairs.

as for fitting its a piece of cake on the imac g5 ( if i can do it
anybody can)

two phillips screws ,slide off back panel, slot memory on board
- no problemo

regards

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I guess you are not aware of the problems people had with certain RAM chips, when Apple made a change to several of their systems. Apple products are very picky when it comes to RAM.

Reaction score
imac g5 ram

brendan67 said:
hi

i disagree with some of the earlier posts ram is ram
as long as its the same spec generic stuff works just fine
in a mac. lets face it your mac is not gonna explode cos you fitted
a third party brand of memory. if a pee cee can use it then a mac can.

though i would always use matched pairs.

as for fitting its a piece of cake on the imac g5 ( if i can do it
anybody can)

two phillips screws ,slide off back panel, slot memory on board
- no problemo

regards

I got a imac G5 a week ago, installed a 1024 MB chip from the cheepist deal that i could find on the net. Did a full system check and everything was sweet, worked great for a few days and then the computer went completely dead, did nothing at all. As the computer was only a week old I didn't test it myself to see what was wrong and just took it back to the apple dealer (where it has been for a week now). My apple dealer blamed it on the ram that i had installed, is this possible? the ram was made by 'whitelake'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Mr Bobbins said:
I got a imac G5 a week ago, installed a 1024 MB chip from the cheepist deal that i could find on the net. Did a full system check and everything was sweet, worked great for a few days and then the computer went completely dead, did nothing at all. As the computer was only a week old I didn't test it myself to see what was wrong and just took it back to the apple dealer (where it has been for a week now). My apple dealer blamed it on the ram that i had installed, is this possible? the ram was made by 'whitelake'.

I doubt that the memory would have done anything, but they are certainly going to blame anything on you if you tell them you have done anything at all inside the computer.

OP
F

flonejek

If the latency on the ram was slightly high it can throw out the clock cycle, causing your mac to hang but otherwise when u take it out it should be fine. I doubt they would blame it on you because of that, apple service has always been very good (IMHO)..., also there is a chance that it could have fryed your northbridge as I have never heard of whitelake ram and it might be dodgy...

the northbridge is the bit that connects the cpu, ram, and graphics card...

Reaction score
imac g5 ram

flonejek said:
If the latency on the ram was slightly high it can throw out the clock cycle, causing your mac to hang but otherwise when u take it out it should be fine. I doubt they would blame it on you because of that, apple service has always been very good (IMHO)..., also there is a chance that it could have fryed your northbridge as I have never heard of whitelake ram and it might be dodgy...

the northbridge is the bit that connects the cpu, ram, and graphics card...

Is the northbridge part of the midplane(motherboard) as thats what he said needed replacing?
http://www.white-lake.com is the companys website.

OP
F

flonejek

Umm I cant find any latency specs on their site so they look dodgy to me hehe, and yah the northbridge is part of the motherboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got a second stick of Samasung 512 (the same as what was OEM with my machine) from newegg.com for $92.00 after shipping and tax. Certainly not the cheapest in the world, but I figured better safe than sorry.

-Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.