Why No Right Click Button??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP: 2.5 GHz Penryn; GeForce 8600M GT 512MB; 2GB RAM; 250GB 5400 RPM; Glossy; OS X 10.5.5; WinXP SP3
I read on forums all over the place that Mac users do indeed regularly use right click capability. Why hasn't Apple given us a right click button? It won't make a Mac "look bad" or "less sleek". It will make it more usable! Having to press Control and the mouse button for a right click is ridiculous!

Mac didn't have a right click button since day one. Apple advances all kinds of technology, but when someone else comes up with something better, like the right click functionality, Apple refuses to incorporate it into its basic design. One mouse button is old technology. The right click button is a must.

I think it's safe to say that if it were to be added to the Mac line-up, a gushing flow of PCers would finally switch to Mac. It stopped me for ages, until I had enough with Window Vista.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
System Preferences - Keyboard and Mouse - "For secondary clicks place two fingers on the trackpad then click the button"

Very simple and intuitive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You must have an odd fixation with a right mouse button

In terms of functionality, the trackpads on Macbooks are light years beyond those of Windows laptops. I have a single button and I don't even use that, tapping the trackpad is all I need. Tapping it with two fingers gives me a right click. Tapping the trackpad is actually faster than clicking physical buttons, not to mention much more intuitive.

The new Macbooks have multi-touch gestures that let you use up to four fingers to do things. Trust me, the lack of a second mouse button is not that big of a deal.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Trust me, the lack of a second mouse button is not that big of a deal.

It IS A BIG DEAL when you first make the switch from Windoze, the lack of a right mouse/trackpad button by default frustrates new switchers, once they figure out how to turn it on in sys prefs life becomes easier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I know dozens of people, many of which are rather computer illiterate, and none have ever complained about the lack of a second mouse button. This is the first thread I've seen with somebody complaining about the lack of a second mouse button, and I've been a member here for quite a while.

So while this might be a big issue for a select few individuals, it's not an endemic problem. If it was, then Apple wouldn't be seeing such huge sales numbers.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Nope, not a big deal buster. Anyone experimenting on a Mac, whether at a friends house or at an Apple store, has someone right there to tell them how to do it.

For those that buy only due to their frustration with other OS's and have never seen a Mac, there are plenty of Mac forums around to ask their newb questions and find answers. And the smart ones, those that like to learn from experience instead of on-their-own, tend to find one right away.

I personally use the "right click function" all the time and never use the command click.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I read on forums all over the place that Mac users do indeed regularly use right click capability. Why hasn't Apple given us a right click button? It won't make a Mac "look bad" or "less sleek". It will make it more usable! Having to press Control and the mouse button for a right click is ridiculous!

Mac didn't have a right click button since day one. Apple advances all kinds of technology, but when someone else comes up with something better, like the right click functionality, Apple refuses to incorporate it into its basic design. One mouse button is old technology. The right click button is a must.

I think it's safe to say that if it were to be added to the Mac line-up, a gushing flow of PCers would finally switch to Mac. It stopped me for ages, until I had enough with Window Vista.

I bought my first Mac, a Powerbook, 6 years ago, and initially I was a little annoyed at the lack of a right-click button. But I adapted quickly and eventually it stopped bothering me. In fact, the whole idea that it cold be a deal killer seemed rather silly in retrospect.

Flash forward 3 years, and I'm using my wife's Dell laptop. I was constantly hitting the right-click button by mistake and man it was pissing me off. It was at that time that I fully realized and accepted the simplicity of the design of Apple's laptops.

Flash forward another 3 years and I have the new Macbook Pro with the multi-touch trackpad. It's nothing short of sheer genius and the usability of this trackpad far exceeds anything else out there. You can left-click, right-click, and scroll all with one button, which is the pad itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alumibook 2.4, 4GB | 1TB Time Capsule | 30GB Video iPod
The current right click solution, two finger tap for me, or two fingers button press works find for me.

If mac didn't have the functionality of a right click I wouldn't use one. What they have available is better than a separate button.

Once you use a trackpad on a new macbook with gestures and even press to click for a week any time you go to an IBM or HP you will be amazed at how you actually used them before because they stink.

The advancement mac has made with the track pad, is honestly the feature I enjoy the most about mac.

The availability of the right click is why I was able to switch and still enjoy the ability to easily navigate from a windows pc to a mac.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
When I first switched, I had forgotten about Apple's stubborn philosophy of only having a single mouse button. So, I was a bit disappointed when I saw the single trackpad button on my first MacBook Pro. Then I found "enable two-finger tapping for right click". It was so simple and natural, that now when I work on Windows notebooks, I find myself doing it - or clicking the right mouse button when I want the left.

So, I'm with the others - it's not necessary. Just turn on two-finger tapping and you'll never miss it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
it's only as big a deal as you make it. the part that is amusing is the people that complain the most are the ones that are bound and determined to make it 'windows'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
I use a MX1000 Mouse and I can right click all day long. It's very rare that I use my MBP without a mouse. But when I do use it, I have no problem using the 2 finger method.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
When I first switched, I had forgotten about Apple's stubborn philosophy of only having a single mouse button. So, I was a bit disappointed when I saw the single trackpad button on my first MacBook Pro. Then I found "enable two-finger tapping for right click". It was so simple and natural, that now when I work on Windows notebooks, I find myself doing it - or clicking the right mouse button when I want the left.

So, I'm with the others - it's not necessary. Just turn on two-finger tapping and you'll never miss it.

Too funny. Now every time I have to use a Windows machine I put my mouse in the bottom right corner waiting for Spaces to come up. Off topic, but good stuff. I cannot even imagine living without a Mac now. Argh!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
it's only as big a deal as you make it. the part that is amusing is the people that complain the most are the ones that are bound and determined to make it 'windows'

Good point. I "switched" three times before it stuck. The first two times I was determined to make it like Windows. Once I got over that it has been all downhill!

Reaction score
I do agree that the "tap with two fingers" feature needs to be either activated by default or made more prominent (maybe during setup for the first time it can ask if you're a switcher and offer the option to set the trackpad to right-click on two-finger tap).

I really do love the buttonless trackpad on the new MBPs, though. I do occasionally do a physical click, but it's pretty rare. I love the 3-finger and 4-finger gestures. The glass surface is also amazing. I just love this thing all around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The whole idea of "right-click" comes from other operating systems.
Mac OS doesn't need a right-click, as all functions of the OS can be achieved with one button, keystrokes and/or menu commands.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I believe the days of the mouse and buttons are close to an end with
bluetooth keyboards with trackpads coming out and touch displays and
trackpads its just a matter of time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, iPod Classic
They...do....have a right click....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.