Looking for a replacement software, going from windows to mac

Reaction score
I usually listen to music anytime im on the computer, I usually use Winamp along with the "DFX" sound enhancer for a better sound quality and effect, is there anything close or similar to the two programs? Or even a sound enhancer for Itunes would be good, but more preferable something similar to winamp.

Also, I also use windows picture preview to go through pictures, using arrow keys, Can i go through my pictures without having to close where the pictures are located? Using arrow keys and going in a "Date modified" order?

Btw, There is a Windows media player for mac right? How come i try to install it on my friends computer and it never seems to work..(Downloaded it from apple's download section)

thanks!!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I usually listen to music anytime im on the computer, I usually use Winamp along with the "DFX" sound enhancer for a better sound quality and effect, is there anything close or similar to the two programs? Or even a sound enhancer for Itunes would be good, but more preferable something similar to winamp.

Sadly, I haven't found anything I like as much as WinAmp for the Mac. iTunes has its own built in equalizer, but it's not as nice as DFX. WinAmp does work in Crossover, however it's a bit funky.

Also, I also use windows picture preview to go through pictures, using arrow keys, Can i go through my pictures without having to close where the pictures are located? Using arrow keys and going in a "Date modified" order?

Yup. Leopard introduced Quicklook. Just sort your directory by modified date and then click the first photo. Then hit the spacebar to activate Quicklook and scroll through your images. Alternatively, you can also use Coverflow view to browse through your images in a similar manner.

Btw, There is a Windows media player for mac right? How come i try to install it on my friends computer and it never seems to work..(Downloaded it from apple's download section)

thanks!!!

Windows Media Player for Mac was discontinued when Microsoft bought the company that makes Flip4Mac, which is a codec package that allows you to view WMV and WMA files in Quicktime. If you don't like Quicktime (not a big fan, myself), there's always the open source VLC Media Player.

Reaction score
VLC Media Player is the best media player for any platform out there, as far as I am concerned.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.