What does it mean when a macbook turns off when you unplug the charger?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GM ram, 128mb vram, Macbook, iPhone 3G 8g
So, this happened with my ibook too.

Recently, when I unplug the charging cable for my macbook, it turns off, so I have to put the charger in, and turn it on. It is on full battery, so thats not the problem.

I'm really confused/annoyed. Why is this happening? What can I do to fix it?

Thanks,

~Jay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
Well the obvious would be the battery. But you said you checked that... Maybe the battery is not seated correctly? Are you 100% certain the battery is good? Will the Macbook turn on if the charger is not connected to it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I bet its a bad battery mine went from full to dead in 20 min before APPLE CARE replaced it.

OP
Jay Ray
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GM ram, 128mb vram, Macbook, iPhone 3G 8g
Okay, I just checked, and actually the battery is at 0%.

So, why might that be happening?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like a dead battery. Download Coconut Battery and open it, you will get a good idea of the current status of your battery.

Edit: Might want to check out Battery Update 1.2 from Apples Support page.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.0 I7, Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz 15, Macbook 2.16Ghz, Imac 3.2GHz 21.5, Macbook Pro 13 2.23Ghz
Sounds like a dead battery. Download Coconut Battery and open it, you will get a good idea of the current status of your battery.

Edit: Might want to check out Battery Update 1.2 from Apples Support page.

If coconut battery crashes which it might it could be an indicator of a bad battery. Apple just replaced mine which was bad. Now coconut battery works just fine so does my macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't know Coconut Battery could crash if the battery is bad, that's a handy piece of info right there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alumibook 2.4, 4GB | 1TB Time Capsule | 30GB Video iPod
I don't know anything about the batteries in macbooks.

But I know a battery in a motorcycle can have a "blown cell" which will cause the battery to not work at all. It can happen randomly and suddenly and the battery physically looks normal.

I would assume this could happen in other batteries.

This might explain why your battery reads 0% and doesn't function.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well with the Macbook batteries, they are just standard Li-Ion Cells, in a 'large AA' size, and run in Parallel, with a 11.1v or 14.8v power usage. Which will yield a higher capacity, I know my Macbook's original capacity is 4500ish, and now at 2800ish.

If you happen to have 1 cell bad, it will just lower the over all mAh capacity, and not necessarily cause the entire battery to be dead.

Reaction score
PLZ HELP!!!! my battery

ok so i installed coconut battery and it said i had 49% battery and 86% life. I unplug my charger and it crashes. The date gets messed up and so does the interrnet so plz help

Reaction score
if the battery was at 0% after you checked then it must have not been receiving a charge and all the incoming power was going directly to your apple without a reserve going to charge your battery. Next time you plug it in when its at 0% battery, give it a few minutes to develop a reserve and that won't happen.

But something like this has happened to me with a near full battery and i chalked it up to a fluke accident.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.