iBook G4 Memory Question

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Pardon my ignorance, but I currently have an iBook G4 1.33 Ghz, PowerPC with 768 MB DDR SDRAM (One 256 built in and one 512).

I was told that I could only go up to a max of 1 GB of RAM. Is this the case or could I pop two (2) 1 Gig cards in there?

My notebook is aging and as I update the OS and the internet keeps evolving, I'm really starting to notice the age.

Thank you in advance!

Reaction score
You must have a 14" iBook, right? Then you have 256MB soldered onto the logic board and one free slot that can accept up to a 1GB module, for 1.25GB total.

$15 (+ship) after rebate: FRYS.com | CRUCIAL

FYI - The 12" 1.33 (and the 14" 1.42) iBooks had 512MB on the board and could then be taken up to 1.5GB RAM.

OP
N
Reaction score
Yes, that is correct. The 256 is built-in.

Do you think a jump from where I'm at now to 1.25 GB will be noticeable?

Thanks again!
Neil

Reaction score
Depends on what you're using the iBook for, but in general 768 to 1280MB will provide a nice boost. Check around for some deals tomorrow if you're not keen on the $15+ship at Fry's.

OP
N
Reaction score
No- that looks great. I'll be hitting that up. I am not running anything huge. I am a musician and music teacher, so some of the music editing programs I use are on the heavy side, but no video or photo editing.

Thanks!
Neil

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.