• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

how are you geared up for the digital switch in feb 2009?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
thought this might be an interesting topic...

i've got a couple issues for sure. while my main television is a newer HD LCD (no to mention connected to a comcast dvr), i've got a couple dinosaurs; two old tube tvs connected straight to the cable.

my plan is to add a couple cable boxes to act as converters, but for one of them (bedroom) i was considering just getting a small LCD, maybe 17".

anyone in minnesota want a nine year old 27" sony trinitron (standard def tube), cheap? ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 MDD Dual 1.25 GHz, 1GB Ram, 80 Gig Hd, 200 Gig Hd; iMacDV 400Mhz 40GB 512Ram
I'm probably going to get cable over the winter. I still got the good ol Tube TV, so it's either the box or cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
I'm geared up by me still not watching TV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
i've got a couple dinosaurs; two old tube tvs connected straight to the cable.

my plan is to add a couple cable boxes to act as converters, but for one of them (bedroom) i was considering just getting a small LCD, maybe 17".

anyone in minnesota want a nine year old 27" sony trinitron (standard def tube), cheap? ;P
If you already have cable TV for every set, then you won't need any converters.
Your TV set doesn't need to be "digital".

I can see numerous people buying converters and boxes and whatnot that they don't need. It makes no difference if the TV set is a CRT or an LCD. If you can already view cable TV on your current sets, then you don't need to do anything in February 2009.

The ONLY people that need to take any sort of action are people who still use antennas (in other words, don't pay for/have access to cable TV or satellite) to receive their TV signals.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I don't have cable or satellite, I have my TV hooked up to my computer and I use it as a media center. So I would say I'm completely ready for the transition :D

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
If you already have cable TV for every set, then you won't need any converters.
Your TV set doesn't need to be "digital".

really?
i was under the assumption that the "cable" caveat was assuming that a cable box was situated between the coax and the tv. it kind of makes sense, no? how does an analog set decode a digital signal coming over the coax without a cable box acting as a digital to analog converter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
ahhh - this was what i was thinking of:

Can my cable company make me get a box to receive the cable channels I receive today without a box?

Some cable companies have decided to switch to digital service. This is a business decision made by the cable companies and is not required by the federal government. Your cable company may decide to move certain cable channels off of its analog service tier and onto a digital service tier, or it may decide to switch to all-digital service at once, so that there is no analog service tier for any subscribers. If your cable company decides to move some or all of the channels it provides onto a digital service tier, it may notify you that you need to get “digital cable” equipment to continue receiving that cable service. This may include renting or purchasing a digital cable set-top box or purchasing a digital cable ready TV equipped with a “CableCARD” slot. The digital cable equipment is different from the digital-to-analog converter boxes that are used to receive over-the-air broadcast signals.

so technically, i'm right, while in practice, you're right at least for now. as cable companies individually decide to make less and less content analog, an analog set will have fewer and fewer viewing options unless attached to a cable box that will convert the digital signal to analog.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
I have a digital tuner built into my TV, and I steal my cable, so I'm all set for the transition!

(Side Note: My TV weighs 170 pounds. I did not know that.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor 4 GB of memory 300 GB HD imac, 8GB Ipod Touch 4th generation
well I use my rabbit ears to get TV channels in my bedroom and will continue to past February 2009 because I live in Canada

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz Penryn 2G/200Gb
I finally got my parents to get rid of their old 36" from 1995 and move onto something nicer (I got them a 52" Samsung). The first words were "WOW" at the digital clarity. Hehe. They'd been watching snowy picture for so long...

Anyways, I don't have cable or dish, but I've been prepared for a while. Just gotta watch out for the older folks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod touch 32gb first gen. MacBook, iBook G4 and a broken PowerBook G4 15"
Hmm Once the switch is made I probobly won't watch tv for a long time. Besides I don't watch anything but football now and I can watch it live on my computer!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
we have a HDTV in the living room and satellite (because telemundo was all I could reliably get).. but I really only watch movies, unless someone else has the TV on. There's a tv in my office I use for background noise.. the satellite receivers cover all of that though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I've got digital cable service already, just need the Plasma/LCD, so I guess, technically I am read for the transition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've only got one TV and it's an LCD HD. I also already am getting HD digital over the air signals for my TV so I'm set.

It will be interesting to see how confusing the transition ends up being in Feb for the average person.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
It will be interesting to see how confusing the transition ends up being in Feb for the average person.
Well, it shouldn't be.

Many TV sets built and sold within the last 10 years already have digital (as well as analog) tuners built into them anyway.
If your TV is only a couple years old, then it definitely has one.
The FCC's created a "digital tuner rule" which specifies that as of March 1, 2007, all new TVs must include digital tuners. This rule prohibits the manufacture, import, or interstate shipment of any device containing an analog tuner, unless it also contains a digital tuner.
If your TV doesn't, chances are you might have a VCR with a digital tuner. VCR's have used digital tuners even longer than TV's have.
If you have one, the VCR could be used as a conduit for your signal.

So, unless your set is more than a decade old and/or you don't have a VCR, then you probably don't have anything to worry about as the chances that you don't already have a digital tuner is slim.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Well, it shouldn't be.

We'll see in February I guess. The mandate to include digital tuners began in 2007, before that only high-end or LCD TVs had them. Most people I would venture to say haven't bought a TV in the last three years, let alone replaced all their TVs in the last three years.

I'm not quite sure I agree with your assessment that only those who haven't bought a TV in the last decade will see any issues. Generally I would imagine that those who still receive their signals over the air are probably the least likely group to have a new TV in the household.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
my pre-2007 projection HDTV has a digital tuner, it WAS an option though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The mandate to include digital tuners began in 2007, before that only high-end or LCD TVs had them.
Not necessarily.
In 1998, the first HDTV programs were broadcast. Now yes, in order to enjoy the full HD experience back then, you had to fork over a King's Ransom for the highest of the high-end equipment capable of HDTV.
Now, as most of us now know, HDTV is digital, but digital is not necessarily HDTV. In the late 90's and early 2000's most people wouldn't have known enough to really tell the difference. HDTV was still in its infancy, but was starting to create a buzz. People wanted this new-fangled technology, but didn't want to pay the high-end price.
Manufacturers took advantage of this.
They began to include digital tuners in some of their mid-level TV sets (usually 30" and up) as a 'perk'. Many sets were still analog only, though.
However, when some manufacturers started hawking "digital TV's", the masses ate it up. As more TV's were sold in the coming years, more models started to get the digital tuners as well as the analog tuners. VCR's started getting digital tuners... and were touted as being able to provide a crisper recording. The digital tuners seemed to be capable of handling infinite channels... all "cable ready".
People thought they were getting something really special... when in reality, at the time it made next to no difference in their picture quality.
The sheeple didn't care, because to them, digital was just plain "better".

Well, their then seemingly illogical rush to keep up with the Jones might have finally do them some good.
The rise in HD programming and sales of digital tuner-equipped sets is what helped (in a small way) to egg on the FCC to mandate that all sets have such tuners, leading into the full-on digital changeover.

So don't be surprised if you find that your older, not super-duper high-end, pre-2007 TV has a digital tuner in it already.

Again, from the DTV site:
Does my TV set have a Digital Tuner?

Without a review of your owner’s manual, it may be difficult to know if your TV has a digital tuner.

Here are some general guidelines:

# If you bought your TV set before 1998, it most likely does not have a digital tuner.

# If you bought a projection, big-screen TV between 1998 and 2004, it may have a digital tuner, but it probably does not. Only a limited number of projection TV sets (usually 42 inches or bigger) included a digital tuner before 2004.

# If you bought a TV set since 2004, you have a better chance of it having a digital tuner. Even some of these newer TV sets are purely display monitors that lack a digital tuner to receive digital signals. These sets usually say "HD-ready" or "HDTV monitor". That means they can display digital and high-definition signals, but they need a converter or cable box as explained above.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.