iPod for Windows and Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
I got several questions from interested bidders on eBay about my 5GB iPod. The most frequent question was about the compatability with Windows and Mac. It is not possible (yet?) for an iPod to work with Windows and Macs at the same time. Such as if you have a PC at work and a Mac at home. Here's what Apple has to say about it:

Apple.com/iPod
----------------------------
If you purchased an iPod for Windows, you can easily reformat it to work on your Mac by downloading the iPod for Mac Software Updater on the Apple web site. Note that once it is reformatted, it will only work with Macs. You need Mac OS 9.2 or Mac OS X version 10.1 or later to reformat an iPod for Windows into an iPod for Mac

The iPod is specially configured for either Mac or PC. iPod for Mac comes in the HFS+ file format which is optimized for performance and usability in Mac OS X and 9. iPod for Windows comes in the FAT32 file format which is optimized for performance and usability in Windows ME, 2000, and XP.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I know that a Mac can read a PC formated floppy disk and a PC formated zip disk. Are you implying that the Mac can not read a PC formated hard disk drive?

OP
MacAddikt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
no, my point is the exact opposite :p ....

you can reformat a windows iPod to mac because the mac can read the windows iPod, but to use it with iTunes you have to convert it to mac. a mac iPod is and always will be a mac iPod since windows cant read the HFS+ file system on the mac iPod. i have never tried any of this though. its all off of apples site, and iPodlounge.com .this is as of now. who knows, if could be possible if someone made a mac app to convert a mac iPod to windows, but why would anyone want to do that? :lol:

OP
MacAddikt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
ok, i did some searching and i found ipod-on-linux on ipodlounge.com . im not sure if it will do the trick to windows, but it does say it will convert it to the FAT32 file format, which is supported by windows. i wont be trying it. i love my iPod too much :)

S

superfula

The easiest thing would be to use EphPod. I have a 10gig Mac version iPod and using ephpod it works just fine on the pc. Better than formatting it back and forth. This way when I get a Mac again, I can use it on both machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
grr I don't have an iPod :( poor me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
I wish I had an iPod too... They are still too expensive and don't have enough space :)

S

Stanley

Emrys said:
I wish I had an iPod too...

I read something about apple this week in Wired. They made an interesting point: MP3 players are around for 5 to 10 years by now, but they weren't a very big hit. Now Apple launches an iPod and suddenly a portable MP3 device becomes indispensible in modern living. Apple is very good in creating very good looking products and/but also creates a feeling of need for those products. It's just very clever marketing.

Still, I don't have an iPod, but I also want one. I know i'm a sucker for clever advertising...

L

lplplpx3

I also think the ipods success is due to stuff like:
Napster going out of business
The RIAA supposedly cracking down on music file sharing
ITunes - which meant no longer did I have to fork out $15 just for 1 track I liked on a CD
And my No. 1 reason for the IPods success is that CD burning technology in home computers for the past 5 (????) years means that we have waaaaay too many CD's than we know how to handle and I am tired of having to come up with wonderful artwork for my CD labels

The design, functionality and just plain sexiness speaks for itself.

IPOD ROCKS!

W

woofboy111

My new iPod that I just bought is made by mac, yet doesn't work on my computer with mac OS9. It works fine on windows though. I need to update to MacOS X...

:-(

Reaction score
Nano Compatibility

I have itunes on a pc and use it as our family itunes library with three ipods using it.
I have purchased an imac 24'' with a 500gb hard drive and now want to transfer our itunes to it. We have a new nano which has not been used yet and I do not know what to use it on whether mac or pc.
Can the nano be used to transfer the itunes library from the pc to mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
if its in disk mode i think this should be possible

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
I wish I had an iPod too... They are still too expensive and don't have enough space :)
Yeah, 30, 60, 80GB...they definitely need to be bigger. ;)

if its in disk mode i think this should be possible
+1

Mine seems to work fine on my Dell and Mini. People have problems with this?

-Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.