Mighty Mouse won't scroll down with ball

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MB, 2.1GHz 4GB RAM, 10.5.8
Hi there, having an annoying problem with my mighty mouse (bluetooth). Using the scroll ball it won't scroll down. I was told in my apple reseller where I bought the mighty mouse and macbook recently, that i should be able to just move the mouse upside down on its ball every now and then, which up til now, has worked. Though now, it will not work at all. I have disconnected it and reconnected via bluetooth and nothing seems to work.

Any help will be grately appreciated.
Stef

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
It's a known issue with the mighty mouse design.

If you still have warranty call AppleCare for a replacement.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, thanks a lot. It's only a month old so I'll go to the reseller I bought it from

Reaction score
I have tried many MANY things, and it does seem to work now . What did it was a combination of holding the mouse upside-down and using one of those microfiber cloths with a little rubbing alcohol on it and moving it on the scroll wheel for about a minute. Then I used pressurized air. then the cloth again. Whacked it once or twice and it works like new!

Easy huh?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Green Thunder, thanks for your reply. The old "whack it" theory, works all the time! I think as its only a month old I'm just going to go to the reseller I bought it from. It's only 5 minutes walk.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Sometimes a low battery will cause odd behavior on a MM.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

Feed your "Mighty Mouse" to a big cat. :Evil: In other words, get your money back from the reseller. Mighty Mouse in my opinion is a dud. Poor design.

I long ago switched to a cheap Logitech which was on sale at Wal-Mart. Have had no problems whatsoever with it and it works just as well or better than MM.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
I'll give the rubbing alcohol soon and whacking it. My girlfriend thought it was funny that I was trying to fix my mouses ball by rubbing and whacking it! lol!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Alcohol dries out the rubbery material of the MM scroll ball so it gets dirty quicker and it also gets hard and less tactile.
Get a damp microfiber cloth, turn MM upside down and roll around firmly on cloth.
Rolling upside down on clean white paper also works, but please no Alcohol.
MM is a teetotaler :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.