Mounting Windows on Toast and installing it with bootcamp.

Reaction score
Its all in the title really, I can open the .iso but when I try to install it with bootcamp, it says it cant find the installer. So I bought Toast and its downloading now, if that doesn't work, im gonna be pretty miffed. I bought Windows XP with my first PC and now I've switched to Mac, I wanted to use windows for gaming still, When I installed it, I followed every single instruction to the point, and yet all that came up was the Windows default background, no explorer bar or icons :( so I ripped the files off my friends Windows XP cd, well he did, and he does it a lot so I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing.

This must be like the 4th forum I've registered and posted on.

I'd love to get this sorted because I've had my Mac for months now and still no windows :'(

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Maybe try getting yourself a legal copy of XP.

For not much more than the cost of Toast, you could have bought a legal OEM copy of XP.

Need to check the forum rules here.

OP
F
Reaction score
arg, well I do have a legal version but for some reason It doesn't work with my Mac, I've even re-installed my old pc with it and it works fine on there, its just something about it not working on the Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBAir
bootcamp requires you install from disk, it won't work from an image. You can use Disk Utility to burn an iso to disk.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
arg, well I do have a legal version but for some reason It doesn't work with my Mac, I've even re-installed my old pc with it and it works fine on there, its just something about it not working on the Mac

"I do have a legal copy" doesn't necessarily mean that iso you have is legal you could just be refering to any version of the OS on any machine you own - afaik any "copy" of a windows disk is technically illegal.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If it is a manufacturers OEM disc (HP,Dell,etc.) or restore disk, it typically will not work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro | 2.8Ghz C2D | 4 Gigs Ram | 512 Meg 9600 GT | 320 Gig Hdd
You need a disc, legal or not, but it must be properly burned to a disc and it needs to be a SP3 copy of XP. You are likely trying with a SP1 disc or older.

Even a Dell XP disc will work so long as it is SP3. Manufacturers discs are usually standard XP discs, with one modification. They look in the bios for a valid identifier. If it is found to do not have to enter a product key. If it is not found you do. Unless it is a restore disc, then well it just won;t work as they are not XP discs, but rather burned images of the hdd.

Reaction score
I thought it has to be SP2 not SP3 (i'm also on a older core duo MBP so maybe this has chnaged to SP3)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro | 2.8Ghz C2D | 4 Gigs Ram | 512 Meg 9600 GT | 320 Gig Hdd
You may very well be right. It may be SP2.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.