G4 Sawtooth - Bypassing the Mac OS X Log On Screen (Jaguar)

Reaction score
Hey Gang,
I had to "Restore" one of my 120GB Maxtor drives because my computer just didn't want to view it, Nortons showed problems. For whatever reason, the drive just wouldn't mount, even when trying to use the Disk Utility/First Aid, etc.

So, I used the OS9 Software Restore, and was able to save the files, upload the old software and now the drive was able to mount.

OK, so now on with the OS X upgrade. Started with OS X, upgrade was successful.

Now I went to Jaguar. Uploaded just fine, etc. Now I get this...

Mac OS X
Anthony Sesack's Computer

I thought my Log On Name was Anthony Sesack

with the password that I use all the time.

For whatever reason, it won't accept my password. The log on widow shakes/vibrates, and it does not allow me to have access to the desktop.

I tried reverting back to the beginning like I did the first time with OS 9 Software Restore, but now the computer won't mount from the CD. It just seems to bypass.

Is there any way to skip the Log On screen? Would zapping the PRAM help? I don't know any other tricks to get the CD/DVR drive to force a mount so I can do a software restore to fix the problem. Just to start over to reset my name and password.

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Use the Jaguar install DVD/CD and change to user name and passwords. Anthony you are using a black coloured full retail install disk and NOT a grey coloured system restore disc which is model specific ONLY?

OP
A
Reaction score
The Jaguar disc I have is where the "X" is spotted like a jaguar, or is that a Leopard. lol I believe it's jaguar.

When I did the Software Restore (that worked), that was with the gray OS9 disc.

If I could get the computer to boot from the CD I would probably be ok. But that is one of my two problems.

One - can't log on or bypass the Log On Screen for OSX

Two - can't get the computer to boot from the system discs using the "C" key.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.