Upgrading on my own

Reaction score
Well, I'm a "switcher" and fixing to order my first Apple, a new Macbook Pro in the next day or two.

Seems it'd be less expensive to upgrade a couple of the components on my own, so that's what I'd like to do, but have some questions.

I'm set on the 2.4ghz 15" MBP. I'd like to bump it up to 4gb and a larger hard drive.

As for the RAM, is this a good bet?
4GB kit (2GBx2), 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300 upgrades for Apple MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (15.4-inch) Laptop/Notebook, CT687602 from Crucial.com
Crucial seems to be where it's at for RAM.

As for the hard drive, I'm not so sure. Where have you guys turned for ordering a notebook hd? I'm a fan of Seagate, and see this one (seems the same as the Apple upgrade, but less $$$) Newegg.com - Seagate Momentus 7200.3 ST9320421AS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Notebook Hard Drive (Bare drive) - Laptop Hard Drives
I like Seagate, but that's the largest 7200rpm one I see.

Also, how difficult is it to install RAM and a Hard Drive on these new Macbook Pros? Any online writeups?
I've tinkered around in my desktop PC, but never messed with a laptop.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB 2.0GHz
Well, I'm a "switcher" and fixing to order my first Apple, a new Macbook Pro in the next day or two.

Seems it'd be less expensive to upgrade a couple of the components on my own, so that's what I'd like to do, but have some questions.

I'm set on the 2.4ghz 15" MBP. I'd like to bump it up to 4gb and a larger hard drive.

As for the RAM, is this a good bet?
4GB kit (2GBx2), 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300 upgrades for Apple MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (15.4-inch) Laptop/Notebook, CT687602 from Crucial.com
Crucial seems to be where it's at for RAM.

As for the hard drive, I'm not so sure. Where have you guys turned for ordering a notebook hd? I'm a fan of Seagate, and see this one (seems the same as the Apple upgrade, but less $$$) Newegg.com - Seagate Momentus 7200.3 ST9320421AS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Notebook Hard Drive (Bare drive) - Laptop Hard Drives
I like Seagate, but that's the largest 7200rpm one I see.

Also, how difficult is it to install RAM and a Hard Drive on these new Macbook Pros? Any online writeups?
I've tinkered around in my desktop PC, but never messed with a laptop.

Thanks
Wish you would have posted this yesterday. APPLE had their black friday sale on their web page. You could have got your mac for $100 less than today.

OP
C
Reaction score
ooh good link. doesn't so much about the memory replacement, but seems it's not too difficult.

maybe i'll just go through apple for the hard drive, i forgot about the hassle of reinstalling the OS and programs again.

OP
C
Reaction score
Wish you would have posted this yesterday. APPLE had their black friday sale on their web page. You could have got your mac for $100 less than today.

really? i checked it, i didn't see any discounts on the MBPs, just the macbooks...
oh well

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
The HDD is good I have that one in my MB right now.

The RAM that you want is kind of meh. I would get these. Cost less and is a lot better. These are a lot faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 ghz/Iphone 4/Ipod 4th Gen/More Coming I'm sure, too bad for my wallet ;)
really? i checked it, i didn't see any discounts on the MBPs, just the macbooks...
oh well

Yeah, I checked too, it was only for the MBs NOT the MBP

OP
C
Reaction score
I just noticed that Kingston RAM is DDR2. Apple offers DDR3.
big deal or not?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
big deal or not?

What model of the MBP are you getting? If it's the newest model then you need to get yourself some DDR3 RAM.

OP
C
Reaction score
the new 2.4ghz 15" model, oh so it requires ddr3?

aye, looks like i only save a few bucks, guess i'll just go through apple for the 2 -> 4gb ram

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Is there a good step by step on replacing the hard drive on the older MBP's?

Thanks in advance and Yes I did try the search function

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
big deal or not?

MBP DD2 runs at 667MHz and MBP DDR3 runs at 1067MHz. If you are going to put DDR2 in it, then buy an older model.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.