iBook G4 running extremely slow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G4
Hello,

I have an iBook G4, 14" screen, 1Gb Ram, 60Gb harddrive, 1.42Ghz Power PC processor. I have owned the iBook for nearly three years, and have not really had any major problems in that time.

However, in the last few months, I have noticed the notebook getting gradually slower and freezing up more often. Lately, it has gotten to where programs (even very simple ones) will run very slowly and/or start up very slowly. Even Safari and Firefox run very slowly. The last few days, I have experienced that notebook entirely locking up, forcing me to force shutdown. On a side note, the notebook has gotten considerably louder, with a ticking noise coming from the lower left corner (possible harddrive?).

The harddrive still has 15GB free. I recently updated the memory with a 512 Mb chip, putting it up to 1Gb of RAM.

Does anyone have any ideas for what is going on here? My iBook has just about gotten to where it is non-usable.

Thank you in advance.
Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Ah the familiar ticking noise. Yeah this powerbook I'm on had that problem as well...Same classic symptoms of a failing hard drive. Is it possible for you to back up all of your important information onto an external hard drive/jump drive (flash drive)? I would seriously do that ASAP before the hard drive conks out on you and you're left with the flashing apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.