No Burning in Superdrive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" Hi-Def/2GB RAM/250GB HD // iPhone 3Gs 16GB // iPod Classic 80GB
I havent done much burning on my MBP. But in the past week, I needed to do some, and burning doesn't happen.

The errors are consistent: it starts the burning process, then just stops to tell me it couldn't calibrate for the media, and stops.

Is this a 'you should go to the Apple Store and get this fixed' issue?

Reaction score
RE:No Burning

My Macbook had a similar issue. I ended up having to reinstall the OS from Time Machine.
If its the same problem, its a known problem with no fixes to date.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My MacBook Pro had a similar issue, except it would usually (not always) burn the disc, but fail verification with issues on certain sectors. After some debate with a Mac "Genius" at an Apple Store, they begrudgingly replaced my SuperDrive. Now that I have the replacement drive, I haven't had any issues burning anything.

The original drive was an LG, the replacement is a Matsushita unit. Not only is the Matsu a lot quieter, but it seems to be a lot less picky about different media types. Sounds like it might be worth a trip to the Apple Store to see what's going on there.

If you're out of warranty, that's another story, unfortunately.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Had an issue of my Superdrive giving back all kinds of errors a few weeks ago (primarily the 'can't calibrate').

Took a can of computer dust (or canned air) did a few quick bursts in the slot - voila - all fixed. Maybe yours will be as easy as a little dust on the lens.

Make sure you shut down the computer prior to doing this, and be careful about using it to the point where it shoots liquid. Just 2 or 3 quick bursts in 2 or 3 different directions. Wait 30 seconds afterwards before booting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.