Networking Problems

F

Fredless

Since I bought my eMac in September 2002, I've had nothing but flawless file sharing between it and my Windows XP pro machine.

My windows machine does not have a CD burner on it, it died and was very old and slow. So for the past year, what I've been doing when I want to burn cd's is open up my shared folder on the finder, and just copy the programs over to the mac and burn them, no problem.

Well about a week ago, when I drag files over (mp3) they just appear really quick on the desktop, then disapeer. I used to be able to just double click on them and iTunes would automatically just copy them into my library, I'd drag the files I wanted to make a cd in and voila, burn my cd.

Now it won't do it. I woke up one morning, turned the eMac on to make a CD while I was getting a shower before school...and it hasn't worked since. The system was lagging and getting crowded with junk I've had on here for the past 2.5 years. So I decided, what the ****, I'll just re-install 10.3 and have it format the drive and start all over.

Well I ran the software updates all over, my machine is up to par on everything. I have 10.3.7 running now fine, well I go to make a CD again and the same problem! What the heck is going on? I have no problem sending files from my macintosh over to my windows machine FROM my mac.

I'm stumped. specs: emac superdrive, 800mhz G4, 512mb PC100.

OP
D

Desolate One

From what you said about re-installing OS X, I'm assuming that you cleared off a lot of un-needed files thus freeing up some space on the eMac. Is this accurate? If not, could the eMac's HDD br running out of space?

Also, what's the condition of the PC? At time when trying to get files from one of my machines I'm able to mount the drive but unable to copy. A quick reboot on the PC corrected this.

OP
F

Fredless

Desolate One said:
From what you said about re-installing OS X, I'm assuming that you cleared off a lot of un-needed files thus freeing up some space on the eMac. Is this accurate? If not, could the eMac's HDD br running out of space?

I formatted the drive upon re-install. HDD is clean except for the space OSX requires.

Also, what's the condition of the PC? At time when trying to get files from one of my machines I'm able to mount the drive but unable to copy. A quick reboot on the PC corrected this.

Done this...many times. PC has been in great shape since I built it back in June 2003.

OP
F

Fredless

Figured something out, I can copy over any files I want from my PC except for MP3s! Even when I try to import them manually through iTunes, I select the shared folder from my PC, and they are greyed out.

What the **** is going on? Is this some new found copy right protection? If so, how the **** do I remove iTunes and get a new MP3 player on there?

New CD burning program as well to burn the MP3's. If there is no way around this, I might as well sell my mac and just buy another CD burner over here, I'll build another PC for that room. This sounds like something microsoft would do...

OP
D

Desolate One

That's really strange. Are the MP3 files on your PC set for read only?

OP
F

Fredless

Desolate One said:
That's really strange. Are the MP3 files on your PC set for read only?

You know, they might be. But why would this make a difference? I am just trying to copy them over, not write to them in anyway. I will check when I get home though. I think it was an update within iTunes that did all of this that made it forbidden to copy MP3 files over from another computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.