• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Some connection with China?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook using mac os x. 10.5.4
God Bless All Here.
Now there is something, browsing the forum and everything MAC, what comes onto the TV but the movie GAMBIT, Michael Caine and Shirley MacLaine. The movie was made in 1966 and being a Silver Surfer I do remember it. But something in the grey matter told me that Shirley MacLaine had some connection with China. This fact, in true Trivial Pursuit style, I passed on to my better half. I tried to find some reference to this on various Movie websites but apart for a documentary she made about China I could find nothing else. Anyone 'film buff' enough to confirm this and what the connection is?
Thanks.
jordache

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
As far as I know.

The film was called "The other half of the sky: A China Memoir.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Don't know about Shirley MacLaine ~ could you be thinking of 'The China Syndrome' which starred Jack Lemmon and Jane Fonda, remembering Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine did do other films together?

OP
jordache
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook using mac os x. 10.5.4
Shirley MacLaine

God Bless All Here

Thanks for the info. My further digging revealed she did visit China with a delegation of American women, A bit of a culture shock for her at the time, she wrote a book on the subject. But her travels have been world wide, Africa, India, Japan. etc.

She made a couple of memorable movies with Jack Lemon, 'The Apartment' and 'Irma La Douce' are the two classics I remember.

Jordache

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
"The Apartment" is one of my all-time favorite movies.

Too bad she turned into a nut later on....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.