parental control?

Reaction score
An ipod touch would be a great gift for my 11 yr old. Are there parental controls for that model? Thank you in advance..

Reaction score
Hello,

The iPod touch has parental controls built in. You go to Settings --> General --> Restrictions. Tap to turn on the restrictions. At that point, enter a 4 digit passcode (it will ask you to confirm). Once there, you can choose to disable some of the applications such as Safari, YouTube, explicit content from iTunes, etc.

If you would like increased parental controls for internet usage on your child's iPod touch, Mobicip.com has developed a content filtering solution. This is an alternative to simply disabling Safari. Your child will still be able to utilize the internet capabilities of the iPod touch, but be protected from inappropriate content. You can learn more about it at Mobicip | The Anytime Anywhere Content Filter.

I am a founder of this company, so I stand to gain financially from this recommendation. However, I think it is important that our children are protected from the dangers of the internet. The solution is in private beta and is completely free, though we are working on developing a more robust premium version to include monitoring reports, triggering tools, and increased customization of our filter (either categorically or through editing of whitelists/blacklists). Come check out our site if you'd like.

Hope this answers your question!

Gene

Reaction score
Well iam using a parental control option but sorry i don;t have any idea about its use for iPod, & iPhones, as i am a new user.

Reaction score
Well iam using a parental control option but sorry i don;t have any idea about its use for iPod, & iPhones, as i am a new user.

In "Settings" go to "General" and head to "Restrictions". Turn on Restrictions, then set up a pass code (4-digit) and then tap the restrictions that you want to block. You can as far as disabling the App Store, iTunes Mobile and Safari web browser as well as everything else. Hope this helps.

-16gig 2nd gen iPod touch owner, 3.1.2 OS

Reaction score
Resetting Restrictions passcode on iPod touch?

Does anyone know how to change the "Restrictions" passcode for iPod touch? General passcode lock is different and easily reset; can't find way to change the 'restrictions' passcode..

Reaction score
Changing parental controle code

I have THE Same concern. How to change THE parental controle access code. Just discovered Some unorthodox site accessing and parental control code was already set up (probably by our KID
As it was his code? Fact is That i cannot Leave it as zich). Is There any otter wat than to fully reset THE device?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have THE Same concern. How to change THE parental controle access code. Just discovered Some unorthodox site accessing and parental control code was already set up (probably by our KID
As it was his code? Fact is That i cannot Leave it as zich). Is There any otter wat than to fully reset THE device?

Go to Settings>General>Reset>Reset all Settings. You also have the option as you said of a full reset to factory default.
This assumes you know the code.

Reaction score
Parental Control

There is some control you can impose as well once you lock the device down as the above mentioned. Check out iRover Surf Safe on iTunes. Blocks adult sites and replaces safari, once you add that lock code to it.

If you want more, you can pay 1.00/month and watch where they are surfing from a secure portal..get their GPS...and block more kinds of sites (social networking...etc)

Reaction score
Disabling Safari is not enough

Disabling Safari and the "Install Apps" option is a good start to making the iPod Touch safer for a kid to use. But that doesn't prevent the device from accessing the Internet. In fact, there are many apps available that have embedded browsers. Many of these apps are just one or two links away from full Internet access, and they are rated age 4+ in the App Store.

I've started a Facebook Page to try and bring some attention to this problem:
"Protect Kids From the App Store"
I've included a list of apps that I found could access the Internet along with the number of links it took to gain full access.

Please help out by spreading the word! The iOS devices will not be safe for kids as long as apps like the "Girl Scout Cookie Locator" can get full access to ANY page on the Internet.

Reaction score
I want to be able to monitor all of my daughter's activity on her iPod. I am not interested in disabling Safari - if I wasn't going to allow her internet access, why would we have gotten an itouch vs just an ipod? Now, if I had known how completely I cannot monitor this thing, an ipod w/ no access is all she would have gotten. I despise this itouch. Doesn't Apple make something that would allow me to watch what she is doing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
Safari is merely the 'gateway' to the internet so it is difficult to control what you see once you pass through it, notwithstanding the safe search mechanisms that are offered by say, Google or Yahoo.

Safari does allow you to see 'top sites' that have been visited frequently and the adjacent tab also provides a history of sites visited upto and including the date set in preferences. There is also a tab in privacy settings that looks like it stores the sites visited and you may be able to examine these.

i guess with all these things trust plays a large part and depending on the age of your daughter will determine how much trust she is afforded.

good luck.

j

Reaction score
Thank you for your post. You are so right - trust plays a huge part. And she is a good girl. I just think for teens it's much easier to stay on the right track if you know a parent is watching over your shoulder, all the time. It's easier to avoid temptation when you know you stand a good chance of "getting caught" if you violate the rules and the trust that has been placed in you. I am just really annoyed at Apple for making it so difficult to provide the parental guidance and control features that would allow for safe use of these devices. There is no reason in the world why they cannot provide the technology that would feed all of that ipod activity to my computer. Likewise, there is no reason why Verizon cannot provide me with software which would just monitor all of the activity going through my home modem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.