Photo recovery Software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations for software to recover photos from a damaged SD card?

Thanx

Ron

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerPC G4 OS 10.2.8
I downloaded Photorec and tried launching the program, but it didn't open. And the file icon was just the blank page icon. Anybody know why this might happen?

Reaction score
Looking at the download page, this is a .tar.bz2 file which "should" decompress with the built-in zip utility.
Did it do anything when you double clicked on it? If not, try using Unarchiver on it to decompress.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerPC G4 OS 10.2.8
The file decompresses, but...

The file "testdisk-6.11.3.darwin.tar.bz2" that was downloaded decompresses, but the resulting folder "testdisk-6.11.3" which contains the Photorec files does not show the files as application files. They show as generic document files. And when the Photorec file is double clicked, the error message "There is no default application specified to open the file Photorec" comes up. Any thoughts why this is happening?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Your best bet for recovering any corrupted or erased files from any form of media is an App called Data Rescue II.

It's save my butt several times.

Reaction score
It seems PhotoRec is a command line tool. If you're not familiar with Terminal you might want to try something else (see above post).
Docs can be found here: PhotoRec Step By Step - CGSecurity

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Need to resurrect this old thread because I'm trying to find a free (or very inexpensive) tool to recover deleted pics from my camera's memory stick (sony memory pro stick).
While on vacation this weekend I went to delete a photo and accidentally clicked on "delete all". Idiot! So, I'm in a bit of a predicament.

I'm currently looking at Card Rescue but don't know anything about the company or app and I want to avoid spending the $40 if I can. I doubt there's anything out there for free but wanted to at least take a shot at asking those who might know.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
My SanDisk SD card reader came with a data recovery software package. It was on minidisk so I had to use my windows machine to transfer the files to a USB drive for use on my Mac.

If you're like me you can always use another card reader, so it might be worth checking to see if some suppliers are still bundling data recovery software with their card readers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.