iPod Touch/iPhone Etiquette

Reaction score
Anytime I hang out with any of my friends who have iPhones or iPod touches, I never ask to mess with them. I think it's kind of rude actually. Like- they didn't spend hundreds of dollars on them just to have tons of other people getting their germs all over them, and to have random people logging onto their facebook and crap like that!

Am I the only one who feels this way?
I just think, it's like their baby, so I shouldn't mess with it, ya know?

I want to get an iPod Touch soon, and I am just paranoid of people wanting to mess with it. I have a friend who tends to be kinda rough with things, and I don't want him messing with it! Then I have this other friend who would probably want to log onto her facebook on it WHENEVER I saw her, and screw around with my music library and stuff. And- I would be fine with it if she washed her hands before using it (I'm weird about stuff like that). But she's not the type of person to respect stuff like that. She would just like, cough on her hands and then get on my iPod Touch, and laugh about it.

I'm tempted to buy one, and just not tell my friends. But I'm with them quite a bit, so what, do I just not enjoy it when they're around because I'm afraid they'll mess it up?

What do you think about this? Am I nuts? I just think that when you have something like this that you spend hundreds of dollars on, you deserve not to have your friends screw it up! This may sound selfish of me, but I am weird about germs. And when certain friends kinda have a bad record when it comes to taking care of things, I think I have a right to be worried!

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz Penryn 2G/200Gb
I got my iPod touch about two weeks after it first debut, and EVERYONE would touch it. Sure, it was kind of nice with all the ladies, but sadly it became apparent they were more interested in the sweet multi-touch and accelerometer than me... *sigh*

But yes, I entirely agree. Stay away from my iPod (even though it seems to have lost its glamor), stop smudging the screen of my laptops, and get your germy hands off my mouse! Gahh! I'm not afraid they'll intentionally mess it up, but rather make a mess like a child.

You're not nuts; smudgy fingers that put grime and grease on a shiny new iPod is terrifying. You have my sympathies...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Yes, you're nuts, but that's par for the course with most iPod owners isn't it? ;)
For me, I didn't mind when people wanted to check it out, as long as they hand it back within a reasonable amount of time. In many cases, when I wanted to show some photos I'd just flick through a couple of them then hand it over to them to flick through the rest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
So none of you guys EVER ask your friends to see/play their newest gadget?

Hard to believe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz Penryn 2G/200Gb
So none of you guys EVER ask your friends to see/play their newest gadget?

Hard to believe.

I try to refrain asking to test drive their new cars :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MB - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM - OSX 10.5.8
Well I'm a klutz, so I think most of my friends are less likely to damage it than I am... But I don't think I'd let a drunk/stoned person touch it...

Not after my drunken friend dropped my digital camera and completely busted it. I didn't even have the heart to ask for any kind of money to replace it, since she can hardly pay her rent as it is. *sigh* Set me back about about $300....

I've let her use my MacBook since then. Don't know what I was thinking, but thank god that didn't get destroyed. I wish I COULD say NO more often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Luckily the people that are most likely to handle my electronics can afford to replace it if they klutz out on me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I just say "No". Sure, it seems a little rude, but I think it's necessary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Friends and family, most of the time. Strangers? I tell them to sod off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Core due Macbook white, 32GB iPod Touch
just found out from my parents (cause they cant keep secrets) im getting the 32gb touch for xmas, and i know i dont want people messing with it. i mean sure if they are thinking about getting one and want to see it first hand i understand, but not just to mess around on facebook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
If a friend wants to check out my iPhone because he/she is interested, and I said "go to an Apple store to check 'em out," I wouldn't have any friends.

OP
D
Reaction score
just found out from my parents (cause they cant keep secrets) im getting the 32gb touch for xmas, and i know i dont want people messing with it. i mean sure if they are thinking about getting one and want to see it first hand i understand, but not just to mess around on facebook.

exactly.
:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.