firewire transfer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / Version 10.6.2
a couple days ago i tuned on my mac to find a blue screen with a blinking folder with a question mark in the middle of the folder. i bought a firewire so i can transfer my music and pictures to my friends computer so when i re-boot my computer i won't lose all my files. i turned off my computer, hooked up the firewire with my friends mac and turned on my mac while holding "T". the firewire symbol shows up on my computer but my computer doesn't show up on my friends computer. so i can't transfer my files to my friends computer. how do i make the firewire connection work?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What computer does your friend have? Mac? PC? If a Mac which model/Specs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2010) 2.66 12 Core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 12 GB Ram, MBP i7 2.66 2010, 8GB Ram
if you are getting that flashing folder icon at the beginning it sounds like you have a dead hard drive. or the hard drive has bad blocks.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / Version 10.6.2
my friend has a Mac OS X version 10.4.11, the exact same model as mine. The flashing folder with a question mark means that something is wrong with my hard drive, but shouldn't i be able to hold "T" while powering up and turn my computer into an external hard drive so i can take some files off of it? I get the bouncing firewire symbol when i power up while holding "T", which means that my computer is now more or less an external hard drive, right? But how come my friends computer doesn't connect with mine when i connect the firewire?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.