Boot camp/Windows XP installation problems

Reaction score
I'm trying to install Windows XP on my Macbook using Boot Camp. Everything seemed fine until I try to load windows from System Preferences > Startup disk and then reboot. When it restarts, it gives me "disk error, press any key to continue" on a black screen except nothing happens when I press any keys. I had to hold down the power button to shut it off. Anybody has any idea what's wrong?

Also, I was never prompted to put in the OS X installation disc at any point, even though they said to put it in after the windows installation...At which point was I supposed to do this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First verify what kind of a Windows disk you used to do the installation? Only a MS boxed Windows XP SP2 full install disk or an OEM system builder's Windows XP SP2 full install disk will work. OEM branded disks, recovery disks, upgrade disks, disks with only SP1, and so forth, will not work.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
VLA disks also don't work in my experience. Which is odd, since well.. VLA disks are not all that different from a retail one.

If you hadn't guessed, your windows installation completed but you never formatted the partition as a boot partition. This is the root cause of your problem and is caused by everything chscag mentioned.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.