Backing up and Crossrefrencing two macs

Reaction score
okay, so I've tried searching for this on google, and on here, but since I'm not entirely positive what to search for I'm not getting relevant results, so thought I would just ask. Also, I decided to post this in this section of the forums, because it seemed the most appropriate even though it deals with a desktop as well as a laptop.

I currently own two macs: MacBook Pro Laptop and one of the older, white Apple iMac 17". I am selling both of them and trading up to a new MBP in about a week. I am currently backing up my BMP with Time Machine (to an external drive) so when i get the new MBP i can transfer all my old stuff onto the new one.

When i got my MBP I copied my iMac onto it, and then cleaned off some files I didn't need to use every day to make space, so I know that the old iMac has some older info on it that my MBP does not, and I'm wondering if there is a way that I can back it up and then somehow cross-reference all the information so i can have one copy of everything instead of multiple copies or the stuff they both have.

I know that sounds kind of complicated, but do you understand what i'm saying? Two computers with probably 80% of the same info, and I want to be able to compare the two so instead of having two copies of two computers that are 80% the same that i could have a whole copy of one computer and then just the 20% different information from the older one.

thanks in advance to anyone who can help!! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.