• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

People are absolutely disgusting!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Wow, just wow. Welcome to the consumerist nation, where people get angry when asked to stop shopping because someone has died.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
This makes me upset to be an American.

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I'm glad you guys can agree with me on this.. Although I am not American myself, it still bothers the heck out of me!

So one dies, and several others get injured because a couple thousand people want a good deal? Grow up! It's not like good deals won't ever come around again!

Some one died for NOTHING!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Hey, they really wanted to save 5 or 10% on their holiday shopping, isn't that worth a human life?? Seems to be to people these days.

It's a perfect example of mod mentality. One person can be courteous and smart, usually. But a group of are stupid, rude, crazy and dangerous. And this was only over shopping. Imagine what people would be like in a serious situation like a building on fire! It just shows how little we've really come from the apes swinging in the trees.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Hey, they really wanted to save 5 or 10% on their holiday shopping, isn't that worth a human life?? Seems to be to people these days.

It's a perfect example of mod mentality. One person can be courteous and smart, usually. But a group of are stupid, rude, crazy and dangerous. And this was only over shopping. Imagine what people would be like in a serious situation like a building on fire! It just shows how little we've really come from the apes swinging in the trees.

Actually, I was going to mention something similar in my original reply. This just lends to the research in social psychology on similar topics (Bystander Apathy, Ache's conformity experiment, Social Identity Theory, Diffusion of Responsibility, etc).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Do you in the US have 'lolly scrambles' for children? If you want to see kids in training for what happened at the WalMart scene, look no further than a lolly scramble at a school picnic or children's birthday party.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)
I saw that. Honestly...HOW STUPID CAN YOU BE?!? How can you not notice you stepped on someone?!? And if you did notice, wouldn't you stop and say "Hey, sorry" or "Whoops" or, heck, "What're you doing down there, idiot?" It literally makes me sick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

That reminds me of another, completely OT, quote I read somewhere recently:

"The death of one person is a tragedy, the death of a million people is a statistic."

As I always say, individuals are smart, people are stupid.

This has nothing to do with being an American, it has to do with Western Consumerist culture in general and could have easily happened anywhere in the Western World.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 15" MacBook Pro - 2.7 GHz Quad-Core i7 // 16GB RAM // 512GB SSD // Radeon Pro 460 4GB

"The death of one person is a tragedy, the death of a million people is a statistic."

This has nothing to do with being an American, it has to do with Western Consumerist culture in general and could have easily happened anywhere in the Western World.

I agree with that. I guess its kinda in-style to hate on America these days but really its not just those "idiot Americans." The rest of the western world is not sooo far and above the knuckle draggers in the states that its impossible for them to be involved in something like this. Your country of origin doesn't really determine your ability to reason, be logical or get sucked into the hysteria of a nationwide day of big sales. I'm not condoning the incident, im just saying anyone could of been part of it, anywhere, its not just because it happened within the imaginary boundaries of the USA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
You know what....
I'm going to speak completely off the cuff even if everyone completely disagrees with me.

I have done A LOT of social research about America and how it has been "Dumbed down" by Television, and how utterly reliant Americans are on television. We as Americans have become nothing short of sheep, mindlessly following whatever the television preaches to us : BUY THIS, BUY THAT, SUPPORT THIS, DON'T SUPPORT THAT.

All we care about is money and material possessions. People in general are sick, cruel human beings. Yes there are exceptions, but I'm making a generalization. We're hypocrites - we condone Asian countries for eating dogs and cats while we dig into steak and pork. We have become a society wholly dependent upon the all-mighty dollar and the possessions it ensues. This article and event is a great representation of this. No, we don't care about our fellow humans, WE NEED THAT ROLLBACK PRICE! WE NEED THAT POSSESSION, IF WE DON'T GET IT, WE RIOT! Remember the tickle me Elmos? It's utterly pathetic, and downright disgusting. I do NOT celebrate Christmas because it's nothing short of a materialistic holiday. Sorry to you people who celebrate Christmas for the passing of our lord Jesus Christ, but he has been pushed aside for this year's new Tickle me Elmo. Every day I read something that makes me even more disgusted with the human race, and sadly I'm not surprised by this event at Wal-Mart in the least...In fact I EXPECT IT to happen. Call me nuts, a radical, whatever you want to call me. All I know is common decency and respect is a bygone in a sex, money and material-crazed society.
Look, material possessions are nice...But it's not the world.
I love my Jaguar,
my laptop
and iPod....
But I would be fine without them. I would live, they're nothing short of material possessions...THERE IS A WHOLE WORLD OUT THERE. WHY DON'T YOU WRITE A POEM TO YOUR LOVED ONES ABOUT HOW MUCH THEY MEAN TO YOU...WHY DOES AN XBOX HAVE TO REPRESENT HOW MUCH YOU LOVE SOMEONE.

WAKE UP PEOPLE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4ghz/200gb/2gb/15.4"+ Tons of Windows PC's
YouTube - Store Worker Trampled, Dies

I don't know what is more horrifying. The fact that only a few seemed to care about the guy or that laughter can be heard in the clip. I am so appalled that I can hear laughter in the background around 1:33. Those people laughing are so sick. They didn't help and they even criticized the cops who were actualy trying to save the guy while those people laughed and did nothing to help. If they thought the cops weren't doing a good enough job, then they should have done it themselves. According to Bloomberg, Some people were even asked to leave by store workers and they just continued to shop without any consideration at all. Those miserable brats were more concerned getting a brand new samsung cameras with 1 trillion megapixels and their 100 billion inch lcd tv rather than a life which can't be brought back. Then there are others who decide to go in a shootout at a Toys-R-Us store which was probably filled with kids and even babies. What has this society come to???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
If that's a video of the guy who died, I don't want to see it. Someone videotaping a guy getting stomped to death, posting it on youtube, and people watching it is about as sick as if you had stepped on his head yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
If that's a video of the guy who died, I don't want to see it. Someone videotaping a guy getting stomped to death, posting it on youtube, and people watching it is about as sick as if you had stepped on his head yourself.

It is but it is of them giving him CPR.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody

While I do agree with you, unfortunately we are the epitome of this attitude, and it is no surprise that it would happen here. We are the land of huge houses and HumVee's. The "American" dream has turned into being a rich *insert expletive* with lots of possessions and having more than the "Joneses", which is far from what it was, or is supposed to be. Don't get me wrong, I love my country, but really hate to see what is happening to it. It will be interesting to see if the current economic climate changes anything, although I don't think it will.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You know what....
I'm going to speak completely off the cuff even if everyone completely disagrees with me.

I have done A LOT of social research about America and how it has been "Dumbed down" by Television, and how utterly reliant Americans are on television. We as Americans have become nothing short of sheep, mindlessly following whatever the television preaches to us : BUY THIS, BUY THAT, SUPPORT THIS, DON'T SUPPORT THAT.

All we care about is money and material possessions. People in general are sick, cruel human beings. Yes there are exceptions, but I'm making a generalization. We're hypocrites - we condone Asian countries for eating dogs and cats while we dig into steak and pork. We have become a society wholly dependent upon the all-mighty dollar and the possessions it ensues. This article and event is a great representation of this. No, we don't care about our fellow humans, WE NEED THAT ROLLBACK PRICE! WE NEED THAT POSSESSION, IF WE DON'T GET IT, WE RIOT! Remember the tickle me Elmos? It's utterly pathetic, and downright disgusting. I do NOT celebrate Christmas because it's nothing short of a materialistic holiday. Sorry to you people who celebrate Christmas for the passing of our lord Jesus Christ, but he has been pushed aside for this year's new Tickle me Elmo. Every day I read something that makes me even more disgusted with the human race, and sadly I'm not surprised by this event at Wal-Mart in the least...In fact I EXPECT IT to happen. Call me nuts, a radical, whatever you want to call me. All I know is common decency and respect is a bygone in a sex, money and material-crazed society.
Look, material possessions are nice...But it's not the world.
I love my Jaguar,
my laptop
and iPod....
But I would be fine without them. I would live, they're nothing short of material possessions...THERE IS A WHOLE WORLD OUT THERE. WHY DON'T YOU WRITE A POEM TO YOUR LOVED ONES ABOUT HOW MUCH THEY MEAN TO YOU...WHY DOES AN XBOX HAVE TO REPRESENT HOW MUCH YOU LOVE SOMEONE.

WAKE UP PEOPLE.

Since you chose to speak freely, I will too. Take your meds.

While I do agree with you, unfortunately we are the epitome of this attitude, and it is no surprise that it would happen here. We are the land of huge houses and HumVee's. The "American" dream has turned into being a rich *insert expletive* with lots of possessions and having more than the "Joneses", which is far from what it was, or is supposed to be. Don't get me wrong, I love my country, but really hate to see what is happening to it. It will be interesting to see if the current economic climate changes anything, although I don't think it will.

Read the story in the post directly above this one. We are not the epitome, we are just simply part of the western world. Bad things can happen anywhere, east or west. Had that incident happened in the US, many here would be telling us just how sick our society is. This is the second big headline case in recent months and neither was here. I'm not saying it doesn't happen here, far from it in fact. I just get tired of people bashing on the US for being the worst of everything in the world when in reality we are not. Too many folks have taken the political climate to heart and seem to think that the world is ending, or has been for the last several years. This is why we are losing our ability to compromise. In the end, things work themselves out and most people are reasonable individuals. Society has it's problems, but they are not the end of it all and we will all move on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I hate to say it, I've seen far more disturbing things in third world countries. People are fundamentally selfish, period. Always have been, always will be. There are, of course, exceptions to that rule.. but by and large people are motivated to do things that benefit them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.