• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

People are absolutely disgusting!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Jaguar, DarkArt, back me up on this one.

In the punk rock community, if someone falls down at a show, practically everyone around them stops moshing and picks 'em up so they don't get trampled. For as "violent" of a scene as it supposedly is, they actually have some shred of respect for their fellow human.

But your average, everyday Joe and Jane can't even stop for the two seconds to pick a guy up because saving 75 cents on a Wii is JUST THAT IMPORTANT.

I find this really rather sad, because even the smallest amount of savings (regardless if it was a Wii they were after or an HDTV or whatever) is enough to send people into a selfish frenzy. Further proof that no matter how civilized and evolved we are, money (even saving a few pennies) will break people down into the dumbest of animals.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody

In the punk rock community, if someone falls down at a show, practically everyone around them stops moshing and picks 'em up so they don't get trampled. For as "violent" of a scene as it supposedly is, they actually have some shred of respect for their fellow human.

But your average, everyday Joe and Jane can't even stop for the two seconds to pick a guy up because saving 75 cents on a Wii is JUST THAT IMPORTANT.

I find this really rather sad, because even the smallest amount of savings (regardless if it was a Wii they were after or an HDTV or whatever) is enough to send people into a selfish frenzy. Further proof that no matter how civilized and evolved we are, money (even saving a few pennies) will break people down into the dumbest of animals.

The two scenes that I have been a part of, the "rave" scene and the hardcore scene are the exact same way. Everyone looks out for everyone. Bringing people water, helping them up, making sure that everyone is having a good time.

The difference is the sense of community, the sense of these people are like me, and we all want the same thing, to have a good time. Many experiments have shown how competition for either imagined or for real resources (in this case that HDTV that is on sale, or the last 10 Wii's) turn people into horrible people who will stop at nothing to satisfy that need, whether it be imagined or real. People can be awesome, but they can also be really scary.

Dysfunction: In a third world country they are more than likely doing this for BASIC needs (food, water, clothing, shelter) and not for 10% on all iPod's. There is a fundamentally different level here.

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC

Of course! That is, if you're in a crow of real punks, anod not these trendy kids who want to look cool. I've been to shows with good crowds that do this, and the people actually know how to mosh (yes , there is a right and wrong way). I've also been to shows where people (dumb kids), who think they're a punk because they dress like one, and end up leaving with a broken nose.

I absolutely have no respect for the human race as a general. We are disgusting creatures (if you think about our routines, habbits, "mandatory-natural" functions, when we get sick/diseased). We are nothing more comparable than a hoard of locusts. We consume until there's nothing left, then we either die, or move one.

The WalMart incident just made me sick to my stomach when I read it, for the fact that people are so greedy, and the effects money and greed can have on a person.

This is what the "true face of evil" looks like. Not some red guy with horns and a pitchfork. (Not meaning to bring religion into this, but you get what I mean).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

Yep we do. Remember back in 1996 there was a whole bunch of people trampled to death at a Pearl Jam concert? I was 3 rows away from Billy Corgan during the Smashing Pumpkins "Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness" Tour and people were falling over the chairs that were put there for us to "Sit" LOL....
I remember it like it was yesterday, right in the middle of the song "Zero" Billy just stops the band and says this:
"DO YOU GUYS NOT REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED TWO WEEKS AGO AT PEARL JAM? *Points to security* GET THOSE *bleepin* CHAIRS OUT OF HERE. NOBODY IS GOING TO GET HURT AT THIS CONCERT. WE'RE NOT GOING TO PLAY UNTIL EVERYONE PASSES UP ALL OF THE CHAIRS TO SECURITY IN THE FRONT. IF YOU GUYS GET TOO VIOLENT, WE'RE GOING TO WALK OFF THIS STAGE."
We stopped, and passed all of the chairs up to the front. Billy said "Thank you." and we resumed.

Then at a Mighty Mighty Bosstones concert in 1998, this chick was in the mosh pit kicking and swinging at all of us guys. Of course we're not going to hit a chick, so 6 of us got her and removed her from the premises. That of course didn't work as she came back, even madder...We passed a note up to Dicky Barret, the lead singer to stop playing and tell this chick to stop because she's just wailing on people literally just skanking and watching the concert. Sure enough Dicky gets on the mike and says "TO THE CHICK THAT THINKS IT'S COOL JUST HITTING PEOPLE FOR THE *bleep* OF IT. STOP BEING A *bleep* AND RELAX.
She turned beet red with embarrassment....lol...But she stopped.
So yes, we KNOW when to stop.

I went to a Circle Jerks concert and they said the same thing "We love it when you guys get into the music but please have respect for your fellow human. If you guys get too *bleepin* violent, we're walking off of this *bleepin* stage."

Bagss,
I see where you're coming from and I did LOL at your comment, but understand this happens in all industrialized, 1st world countries and I was using the US as an example. People are too selfish nowadays and it's pathetic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
I've also been to shows where people (dumb kids), who think they're a punk because they dress like one, and end up leaving with a broken nose.

Hahahaha If I had a dollar for every nose I've bro-....I mean....O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Many experiments have shown how competition for either imagined or for real resources (in this case that HDTV that is on sale, or the last 10 Wii's) turn people into horrible people who will stop at nothing to satisfy that need, whether it be imagined or real.

I honestly cannot understand this. I mean, I comprehend it but I don't understand it. There is no commodity that is important enough to me to have to stampede for it. If the store runs out of Wiis, whatever. There are other stores and there are other seasons. It's not like those are the last 10 Wiis in the world.

This whole mentality confuses me. On one hand, I understand that "Well the kid wants it for Christmas", but by the same token, it's possible to explain to the kid that the store may not have it (or Santa, whatever) in time for Christmas, but that it could be a birthday thing or they could get something else for christmas to tide them over until Mom and Dad (or Santa) can get one.

Besides, the Christmases that I remember best aren't the ones where I got exactly what I asked for. I asked for a Sega Genesis for three years (1992-1995) and didn't get it until the third year. I didn't know at the time that Mom was really Santa and that times were tight, so a Genesis was a commodity that we couldn't afford. Mom just said "Santa tried" and we left it at that. Sure, I was a typical little kid about it ("THAT'S NOT FAIAIAIAIAIAIAIR"), but the thing is, she explained it later on in life, and it made sense.

I'm starting to get off topic, I think, but to wrap it up, to devolve into animals over something that silly is just stupid. I know "Christmas is the kids' day", but sometimes, Santa just can't get Nintendo to ramp up production. It happens.

DarkArt said:
I've also been to shows where people (dumb kids), who think they're a punk because they dress like one, and end up leaving with a broken nose.

To quote Stza Crack, "This show is not the place to practice your stage dives. Try practicing stage diving into a pool, preferably empty."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I honestly cannot understand this. I mean, I comprehend it but I don't understand it. There is no commodity that is important enough to me to have to stampede for it. If the store runs out of Wiis, whatever. There are other stores and there are other seasons. It's not like those are the last 10 Wiis in the world.

There is actually a famous social psychology study where they did this with children too. I'm not at home and can't look it up, but it showed that this is not isolated to adults, but to children as well.

And for those talking about "mob mentality", the actual psychological term is called deindividuation. It can get rather complicated, but to put it simply it is when people will do things in groups that they would not otherwise do because of the feeling of anonymity. This is where research done by both Milgram (shocking people to death because an authority figure told you to) and Zimbardo (Stanford prison experiments) comes into play.

LOL. Can you guys tell that this is what my MS and eventual PhD is in? I love social psychology!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
lifeafter2am: oddly enough most of these atrocities are not committed to survive, they're committed out of greed. It's also normally the powerful preying on the weak, but I digress. Perhaps I simply am no longer shocked by these kinds of events. Which, thinking about it is pretty sad in and of itself.

edit: oh and even old farts like me can come and go peacefully at hardcore shows :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
lifeafter2am: oddly enough most of these atrocities are not committed to survive, they're committed out of greed. It's also normally the powerful preying on the weak, but I digress. Perhaps I simply am no longer shocked by these kinds of events. Which, thinking about it is pretty sad in and of itself.

edit: oh and even old farts like me can come and go peacefully at hardcore shows :D

That is where the idea of "imagined resources" comes into play. An imaginary resource would be something that people think they have to have (ie, HDTV, Wii, etc.) and not something they actually have to have (food, water, clothing, shelter, etc.).

I agree though, that this behavior really doesn't shock me so much anymore, it just further proves the research that I study and conduct. And yes, it is sad that we have come to expect this of each other.

Are you kidding? I think the "old farts" get the most respect at shows, at least back when I was still in that scene! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
T
I agree though, that this behavior really doesn't shock me so much anymore, it just further proves the research that I study and conduct. And yes, it is sad that we have come to expect this of each other.

Are you kidding? I think the "old farts" get the most respect at shows, at least back when I was still in that scene! ;)

Don't forget the "Bystander Effect". When NYU students simulated a rape on the streets of Manhattan and people just walked right by it. I love psychology, that's why I'm such a nutjob.

Yeah I'm 180 LBS and I have a lil' gut going on now...I consider myself an old fart, but seeing Eric Clapton 3rd row in was....absolutely....*DROOL*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Don't forget the "Bystander Effect". When NYU students simulated a rape on the streets of Manhattan and people just walked right by it. I love psychology, that's why I'm such a nutjob.

Yeah I'm 180 LBS and I have a lil' gut going on now...I consider myself an old fart, but seeing Eric Clapton 3rd row in was....absolutely....*DROOL*

Yeah it is also called bystander apathy and has a lot to do with diffusion of responsibility. But yes, in this case they people just watching the guy get trampled definitely were suffering from this effect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Bagss,
I see where you're coming from and I did LOL at your comment, but understand this happens in all industrialized, 1st world countries and I was using the US as an example. People are too selfish nowadays and it's pathetic.

Agreed. Many folks are.

Those in glass houses......

Um..yeah...ok...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
YouTube - Store Worker Trampled, Dies

I don't know what is more horrifying. The fact that only a few seemed to care about the guy or that laughter can be heard in the clip. I am so appalled that I can hear laughter in the background around 1:33. Those people laughing are so sick. They didn't help and they even criticized the cops who were actualy trying to save the guy while those people laughed and did nothing to help. If they thought the cops weren't doing a good enough job, then they should have done it themselves. According to Bloomberg, Some people were even asked to leave by store workers and they just continued to shop without any consideration at all. Those miserable brats were more concerned getting a brand new samsung cameras with 1 trillion megapixels and their 100 billion inch lcd tv rather than a life which can't be brought back. Then there are others who decide to go in a shootout at a Toys-R-Us store which was probably filled with kids and even babies. What has this society come to???
Thats hard to watch.... I wish people would wake up. Think about that man who lost his life. His family wont have him around for the holidays because some people "needed" some super deals for their families.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
when rumors of a suicide bomber provoked a frenzied stampede in a procession of Shiite pilgrims as they crossed a bridge in northern Baghdad, government and hospital officials said.

A LITTLE bit different than racing to get that first Wii or Plasma T.V.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
I find this type of behavior appalling. I was watching G4 yesterday and they showed a clip of people at Wal-Mart fighting over an xbox 360 bundled with Guitar Hero 2. In the clip, there was this seemingly nice old lady shoving people out of the way to grab one and she was yelling at someone else.

The video was kind of blurry but it just made me shake my head. Do these people not realize how stupid they are acting? Obviously not or they wouldn't be acting that way. But I wonder if they would act that way if they could actually see themselves and how they are acting..

And again, all in the name of Christmas...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.