dreamweaver image and table help

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm very new to web design and I'm currently in the process of making my first website.

I've designed it all in photoshop and now all I need to do is transfer the graphics to dreamweaver.

I have created a background image which I have set in dreamweaver as the background for the website, and I have managed to centre this in the browser.

At the bottom of this background picture there is a menu bar, on which I want to put the words: 'home', 'about', 'contact' etc, graphics which I have also designed in photoshop, saved in .png and imported into dreamweaver.

I understand that in order to position an image wherever you want in dreamweaver you need to put it in a 'table', is that right? I have tried doing that but when I do 'preview in browser', it doesn't appear as I imagine, with the picture positioned in a different place, and not 'following' the background when the browser window is stretched or shrunk... (in other words, re-sized)

Here is a link to the index page of my site, it might make things easier to understand! Untitled Document

Basically, I would like the 'home' graphic to be positioned just to the right of the treble clef on the menu bar, and I would like it to be fixed there so that when the browser window is re-sized, it stays in the same position on the bar.

Thanks a lot for reading!

J.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro
If you are getting into web design I'd start learning CSS (cascading style sheets) instead of tables. It's a bit tricky to get used to but you won't go back to table based design once you understand how it works.

Check out Cascading Style Sheets for some free tutorials

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Actually you want to use absolute div tags for that. Tables are a no no >_>"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.