How can I clone hard drive from MacBook and restoring on another

Reaction score
Hello,

I am getting my early 2008 MacBook Pro replaced with the exact same machine. My current MacBook has some minor hardware issues, but I've only had it for a month, so I'm getting an exchange.

But I have already gotten my OS setup how I want. Apps installed, things configured, etc.

I just want to get up and running on this new machine with minimal effort.

I am trying to figure out how to clone this hard drive and restore it onto the new machine WITHOUT removing any of their hard-drives. I have been using Time Machine with a external HD connected via FireWire.

Can I use those TM backups to restore the new MacBook to be exactly how I left this one? How would I go about doing that?

If not, can I use Super Duper to do this somehow? What would be the easiest way? Can you please provide instructions as well... I've only been on Mac for about a month :) (but I have found my way pretty good so far)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro | 2.8Ghz C2D | 4 Gigs Ram | 512 Meg 9600 GT | 320 Gig Hdd
You need to get an external USB Hdd, then when you plug it in, tell time machine to use it as a backup device. It will format it and then voila, you can start your backup.

Then when you get our new mac, just restore it onto it and poof, you are sitting at your old machine again :)

OP
D
Reaction score
To restore from my Time Machine backup (which I already have) do I do that through the OS, or should I insert the restore disks and do it from there?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro | 2.8Ghz C2D | 4 Gigs Ram | 512 Meg 9600 GT | 320 Gig Hdd
Use the migration wizard inside the os to do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2010) 2.66 12 Core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 12 GB Ram, MBP i7 2.66 2010, 8GB Ram
time machine restore

when you turn on your new machine it will prompt you if you want to migrate or restore from a time machine backup. pick restore from time machine and your new laptop will be exactly like your old one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.