ibook 12" monitor bend

OP
P

Phiber

jklfafa said:
actually the new powerbooks are nothing to look forward to, they will have lots of flaws in the beginning as well, and i am glad not to have g5. lots of problems, and overheating as well, my ibook is just fine as is. 2.5 weeks old...i dont think there is a bed, i close it with 2 hands on both sides, so it wont warp.
i dont really think the problem is as big as people make it seem.
but i could be wrong, more pics?

The fact that you are treating it with kid gloves to avoid possible problems makes me laugh. You shouldn't have to be doing that.

Why do you think the new powerbooks should have allot of bugs? They've really changed nothing except the clock speed and a few other things. It is basically a revision of the previous Powerbooks. I never said anything about a G5, either, so I don't know where you are going with that. My buddies Twin Core G5 tower is just fine with no over heating problems..

I am going for the Powerbook because it seems to be a lot less buggy than the iBook.. It's too bad, I was really looking forward to it.

Reaction score
I checked out the display model at the apple store, it wasn't bent(it had an iSight mounted to it so you couldn't really close it), but I could see how that could easily become a problem.

OP
T

titan0111

i also went to my local Apple Retail Store here in Virginia.

They had about 6 or more iBooks on display but none of them were warped...

OP
S

sursuciofla

I hope this warped display doesn't happen to me. I got a 14" ibook G4 about a week and a half ago. It is the 1.33 ghz and I have the 80 GB hardrive with 1.25 GB of RAM (installed the 1 GB SO-DIMM myself because even with the student discount $450 from Apple is a ripoff versus the $230 I paid for the memory elsewhere). Also get the combo drive and get a dual-layer external dvd burner because the $200 more for the superdrive can be invested in that, plus if you upgrade computers you can keep it. I am very happy thus far since I bought this for school (graphic design) and it's rugged. Since my school has G4 and G5 Powermacs there wasn't a need for me to get the powerbook just yet. I plan to definately upgrade to the powermac as my primary when I graduate but until then the portability and value of the ibook is just better right now and should last as while (my brother has had his for over 4 years, and now owns a powermac G5 as well). I paid $1600 in all, this includes the maxed out memory and tax. For a graphics student 14" ibook is mandatory, 12" is just too small. The 15" and 17" powerbooks are the best but will cost you $1000 to $1500, plus you should add more RAM. Does anyone recommend the APPLECARE PLAN? I just don't expect this thing to fail me even though I know it happens sometimes.

OP
C

crisrose

sursuciofla said:
for a graphics student 14" ibook is mandatory, 12" is just too small.

I'm a final year product design student, i regularly produce A0 images and above, and i chose the 12" over the 14" because while the screen is larger, the resolution is the same.... so it was better to have the nice compact and light body of the 12" unit.

I found a better solution was to pair it with one of my 18 inch TFTs and run a spanning desktop.

Anyways, i think the problem is only on the 12" because of the way they are hinged only in the middle.

OP
S

sursuciofla

crisrose said:
I found a better solution was to pair it with one of my 18 inch TFTs and run a spanning desktop.

Yeah I am hardly ever hooked up to a monitor and I just need a bigger screen since I am blind :)

I do want to get a new monitor though, how much did the one you got run for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.2gHz g4, 12 inch, 60 gig, 768RAM, bluetooth, ATI radeon 9200, macally bluetooth mouse, JBL speaker
lcd

you can get 19 inch lcd's for 350 off of newegg and places like that. these are name brand ones too. im sure the no names are much cheaper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
alejandrico said:
Not good at all
That is chinese quality

That's cheap labour more like!

OP
C

crisrose

my twin 18 TFTs are also TVs and video input, so they were just shy over £400 each.

AS has been mentioned, you can pick up 19 inch TFTs for £350 from quite a few places.

OP
V

VictoryRose

i just got my ibook and it looks like they put two things of glue or something of that nature on mine in that area.

OP
P

PrimeRib

crisrose said:
I'm a final year product design student, i regularly produce A0 images and above, and i chose the 12" over the 14" because while the screen is larger, the resolution is the same.... so it was better to have the nice compact and light body of the 12" unit.

Anyways, i think the problem is only on the 12" because of the way they are hinged only in the middle.

Yep - the one big hinge in the middle - I have the 12' and watched where the hinge meets the LCD carefully as opening and closing and you can see how the warping occurs - repeated use will eventually cause the bend there.
However, it doesn't bother me all that much and as someone else pointed out, an Apple tech seemed to fix it with a dab of glue. Seems easy enough.
I'll probably wait till the Applecare runs out - about a years time, that screen should be bowing more and a simple dab of superglue should resolve it in a snap.
;)

OP
P

pstauff

Hmmm... this is a bit worrisome. I just got my G4 12" 1.2 GHz iBook 2 weeks ago. I'm still within my 30 day return window with Amazon. Is this happening a lot with the newer iBooks?

Also... not thrilled about this trackpad. Sidetrack helps a lot though.

OP
M

maverick2k

The pics on the first post makes me jittery........I have had my 14" ibook for the last three weeks...the only reassuring thing is that it seems to happen more often in 12" ibooks....

No problems with my screen and panel though the panel and the screen seem to part a bit near the hinges while opening and closing.....

I think the primary causes for this is overfastening of the hinge bolts to the panel which seems to create stress on the panel while opening it from the othe end.....I am sure this will be remedied if it is untightened slightly by the apple store people...

A similar problem with window frames and glazing units separating in the middle occurs in the facade industry due to the over tightening of the glass and frame joints....

furthermore the same can occur if the hinges are attached just to the front of the panel and the front and the rear panel are not joined at that position.

OP
I

iDVFH.

The reason it's so tight is because it has to be that way..there's only 1 hinge supporting the whole LCD..the 14' i believe has 2 (coulld be mistaken) there is not as much stress on it..IMO also I think Apple went a little cheapy and used a lower grade of plastic..they thought they were able to get away with it because it's on the inside of the laptop..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" macbook pro core 2 duo, 2.16ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hdd. iPod nano 8gb. iPod Photo 20gb.
Does the iBook 14" Have Same Problems?

joetherower said:
i got this one of ebay uk last week.

When it arrived it was like this but there was nothing in the discription about it. I asked the guy who sold me it and he says it wasn't like that. I got a copy of the receipt of him and took it to the company (John Lewis in Sheffield). Its still under warranty so its being repaired now. I will post some more pictures when they fix it to show you what they did after the repair.

Joe

I was wondering, do these problems also occur on the iBook 14"? I haven't heard anyone mention it. Such a shame for the iBook to have such a flaw, I hope Apple fixes it with the new April edition.

OP
C

crisrose

as the previous post said, along with myself a few posts before:

12" has a single hinge design that seems to promote this - the 14" does not

OP
P

pstauff

I've had mine for 3 weeks. I don't see any signs of it happening. I am not returning mine. I like it too much to send it back.

JRV

Reaction score
i can see how it would happen but there is no way to avoid it if you have to open and close it. some really good super glue would probably fix it. if mine ever bends i will probably just use glue. anyone think that is a bad idea?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.