Memory disappearing of HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook - 2GHZ - 1GB RAM - 80GB HD - 500GB External HD - 8GB iPod Touch
Ok i know this is normal, memory disappearing of HD due to caches and stuff, BUT! i'm just wondering if there is away to get the memory back because today i've left my Macbook on all day and 8MB's have disappeared (I'm a memory freak)

Thanks
Michael

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Michael - by "memory" do you mean disk space? Memory is an entirely different matter. To reclaim cluttered disk space, use a utility like Onyx Titanium Software to clear caches.

Why leaving your MB "on all day" should have claimed 8 Mb of disk space or "memory" I cannot work out, unless you're using Activity Monitor and seeing active RAM and Virtual memory being used. Can you explain further what you mean?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Wonder if he means it was left on the 'net all day and some downloads such as emails, software update etc took place?

OP
MrArpeggi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Guys, here goes

I had 62.63GB of Storage left on my Macbook yesterday, My macbook was on all day half the time was just sitting on the desktop while i was downstairs watching TV and some of the time i would be browsing YouTube, MacForums or talking on Adium, i would come up and there will be like 62.53GB free, so id be like ***!, then when i restart my computer and the storage will go back to normal but sometimes it doesnt sometimes it goes to like 62.59GB and sooo on...I always clear the caches from Safari, I just click Reset Safari.

Hope this helped guys, try and help me solve this :p

OP
MrArpeggi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No matter what the storage always goes down, Im not saying it drops instantly im saying if id be working on Pages, Talking to friends i understand about caches and stuff and how to clear them ( only on safari) but if there is any piece of software that would clear them and give me back the storage that i originally had

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Small fluctuations of disk space like you explain are completely normal. There are all kinds of things going on in the background which can cause this. For example, if you don't have a lot of RAM installed, the system will need to page the hard disk, which will use up a small amount of space temporarily. Unless you are seeing large amounts of space (several gigabytes at a time) disappear, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

As for clearing caches and performing other maintenance tasks, get a program like Onyx, which is free. It can be found here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

performs those same tasks..

OP
MrArpeggi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, Thanks guys for your help, much appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.