Parallels Desk Top?

Reaction score
Could someone please explain to me if there are risks running parallels desk top 3? We only run windows for a few programs. I was going to buy Office for Mac, but realized that parallels was $100 cheaper, and we already have office for windows. The rebooting is such a pain though. So I'm wondering if I would be opening my mac up to viruses by installing parallels? Would I be better off to purchase office for mac, or could I get away with parallels and be safe?

Like is it possible to get a virus through the windows side if surfing the net on the mac? I hope that makes sense.

I'd appreciate any advice thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It doesn't matter if you're running Windows from a Boot Camp partition or using it in a VM (Parallels or Fusion) there is a real risk of contracting a virus or malware. Windows should be protected - regardless. AV software and firewall are a must.

And, what is the big deal about having to reboot the machine to get into Windows? Like about 1 or 2 minutes of your time? Use Boot Camp and install your copy of Windows that way. Then you can run MS Office or any other Windows program you own. You not only save on the cost of MS Office for the Mac, but Parallels as well. :D

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
The problem is we send a lot of word and excel documents through email (mac) so we are jumping between the two and have to put the documents from windows on the jump drive to email on the mac, it would save a lot of time not having to reboot. Thanks for the input.

Reaction score
Then use Fusion or Parallels. An added advantage of using virtual machines is that in either Fusion or Parallels, you can have the Office:Mac apps open in one window, and Windows Office apps open in another, and you can drag/drop/cut/paste, etc. between them. I dumped BC in favor of this approach early on - while the booting itself wasn't so bad, if you are using only office productivity apps, having the ability to run these apps in a window on the OSX desktop was a large productivity boost. I also think that in an office environment, virtual machines are easier to administer than BC partitions, but that's just my two cents. BC makes a lot of sense if you need the computer to run natively (e.g., take advantage of a separate graphics card) but for Office apps that's not necessary.

One caution re MS Office: Office:Mac does not support vBasic macros, so if you are using files with them you'll have to work a bit on the translation.

You should download the trial versions of Fusion and Parallels and try both to see which you like better. With respect to Windows, both are essentially feature-equivalent although the interfaces have different styles. If you plan to administer the software over a network or may later wish to use other OSs, I think Fusion will serve better. But for single-user installations, they are about the same. Both are excellent.

As for the viruses, you absolutely need virus protection in any Windows virtual machine or BC partition. Pick your favorite and install them. The good news is that whether you go with a VM or BC, any viruses you get on the Windows side will not infect your Mac volume.

Good luck!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The problem is we send a lot of word and excel documents through email (mac) so we are jumping between the two and have to put the documents from windows on the jump drive to email on the mac, it would save a lot of time not having to reboot. Thanks for the input.

Understand. Remember, you can always move those documents from Windows to OS X right to your documents folder if necessary. If your Windows partition is formatted FAT-32, the move is real easy, however, if the partition is formatted to NTFS, you would need something like "Paragon NTFS" or the free NTFS 3G.

Just a suggestion. :)

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.