mac to pc networking problems

S

segull

hey everyone, ive just recently started using a mac and im trying to network my mac with my dell... my dell is able to connect to my mac and see the users contents but i cant get the mac to see dells files.. ive gone to the connect to server in the finder, entered the ip adress of the dell and the sharename but it always says cant connect to server coz of wrong password or user name..
PLEASE HELP!! heheh

OP
D

Desolate One

Are you using Xp on the Dell? I'm assuming you've set up sharing on the PC, a folder, a drive, something. Do you not see the Dell's computer name when in Finder? Are you getting the invalid username/password when you try to mount the drive?

OP
S

segull

yeah im using xp, and ive set everything up just like all these websites have told me.. but i still get invalid username/password when i try mount it.. hehe, its irritating..
anywasy thanks for ur help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
I get the same problem.
i have a dell xp home networked with my ibook and my pc can see my ibooks files but my ibook can't see my pc's files.
The itunes sharing works perfect with both.

OP
C

crisrose

i have the same problem, but i can't see my ibook from my PC.

I can see my PC from my iBook, but i always get wrong password/username when i try and log in.

Not handy at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4
make sure u have set the folders on the pc to be shared,
make sure the pc is on,
then go finder, network, your network should be on there, and then the shared folders....

OP
M

myjay610

Make sure you are using the right protocol when you are entering the IP address into the connect field; windows use samba, so your connect field should be "smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" or, if you know the computer name from looking in mycomputer you can just do: smb://<computername>.

If you are using simple filesharing, there shouldn't be a usename/pw to connect to your dell; setting up the un/pw is a bit more complicated on windows.

John

JRV

Reaction score
i'm having the same problem. my iBook can't access my PC's even though it sees them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
I figured it out go to "go" then "connect to server" then do smb://YourPc's ip address here. If your using a router use its network ip and if ur not using a router use whatever ip it gives you the one problem is if your using a firewall on the pc u hav to configure it to allow a connection from your ibook I had norton so I did this by going into configure firewall and telling it to trust my ip address for my ibook.

OP
D

dodgerfan78

johninc said:
I figured it out go to "go" then "connect to server" then do smb://YourPc's ip address here. If your using a router use its network ip and if ur not using a router use whatever ip it gives you the one problem is if your using a firewall on the pc u hav to configure it to allow a connection from your ibook I had norton so I did this by going into configure firewall and telling it to trust my ip address for my ibook.

anything specific to configure? port, protocol? or just check file/printer sharing? Thank you.

JRV

Reaction score
i still can't access my pc's files guys. need help here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.